Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opportunity to buy 20" Rockwell Bandsaw

Opportunity to buy 20" Rockwell Bandsaw

I have an opportunity o buy this saw. It appears to be in good condition and runs good. Only problem is we are pretty far apart on price. He is asking $1500.00 What would be a good price to pay for this? Thank you
    Clark
    54458172_1178547912304652_4187784329838985216_n.jpg58376664_1198151973677579_6198580785377705984_n.jpg57370545_1198152007010909_8498085999115501568_n.jpg57882374_1198152043677572_6558002477843611648_n.jpg
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

That's high for that saw. I have one in 2 hp, 3 phase trim and it's a great piece of machinery, but they usually go for around half that if you're willing to look.

Caveat: I drove 10 hours to pick mine up, so your local market may vary.

That machine looks like it is in "plug and play shape". The tires look great. Make an offer for what you think it is worth. All he can do is say yes or no,if the price is too high for what you are willing to pay just keep looking. I would pay 1000 or so after making sure it is as good as it looks in the pictures. I recently bought a Centauro CO 600 for $600 with 6.5 hours of driving. After replacing bearings everywhere and blade guides and welding up a bunch of parts I am in for $1200 plus my time. This was expected on my part. Pay up front or pay as you go your choice.

The machine is in excellent condition. He is still firm at $1500.00. We will see only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    That machine looks like it is in "plug and play shape". The tires look great. Make an offer for what you think it is worth. All he can do is say yes or no,if the price is too high for what you are willing to pay just keep looking. I would pay 1000 or so after making sure it is as good as it looks in the pictures. I recently bought a Centauro CO 600 for $600 with 6.5 hours of driving. After replacing bearings everywhere and blade guides and welding up a bunch of parts I am in for $1200 plus my time. This was expected on my part. Pay up front or pay as you go your choice.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

I agree that is worth about $1,000, $1,500 if it was variable speed. That is a newer model so I think the pedal is just a brake not the variable speed adjustment?
    The welder does not seem to increase the price much.
    Bill D.

Isn't that a metal bandsaw? If so, it's worth a lot more.
    Is there a reducer gear on the other side?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    Isn't that a metal bandsaw? If so, it's worth a lot more.
    Is there a reducer gear on the other side?
    For some reason I though all the metal saws were variable speed, or at least a two speed shifter.
    Bill D.
    F

I don’t think it’s a metal saw. Thanks for all the input. Now it’s a waiting game to see who blinks first.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

You would pay at least twice that amount for a new 20 inch band saw.

The good deals that folks get on used machinery are usually the result of someone just wanting to get rid of the machine, not really caring what it is worth or even knowing what is worth. The other place is an auction when there is no interest in the item.

I had that same saw bought new in the 80s. That is not the metal version. Mine had a bad vibration I finally traced to a bent motor shaft after replacing the tires. I would run that before buying. I sold mine for $800 10 - 12 years ago. I think they were plus or minus about $1000 in the 80s

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Quoted for truth. A grand in plug and play shape is fair. A bunch of these saws go a good bit cheaper but you will either drive to get it or put labor and $ into fixing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    I had that same saw bought new in the 80s. That is not the metal version. Mine had a bad vibration I finally traced to a bent motor shaft after replacing the tires. I would run that before buying. I sold mine for $800 10 - 12 years ago. I think they were plus or minus about $1000 in the 80s
    At some point, it's worth it for just its value in cutting wood. New you would get a very basic 14 inch saw for that price.

13. Let me clarify my previous comment: You asked what a good price was on one of these. I paid about $800 for mine, plus travel expenses, plus a VFD to run it.

Is a fully functional, running, tuned up saw like this worth $1,500 as a user-grade machine? YES!!! It will resaw veneer and do other bandsaw stuff about as well as anything I've used. No complaints. They're just not rare or particularly stunning to look at (Yates Y30, anyone?)

Thanks Will, the reality is I don’t need this saw. Would I like to have it, absolutely. So if I can pick it up for $750.00 I will get it. If not that’s ok too. Thanks for your input on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Boulware View Post
    Let me clarify my previous comment: You asked what a good price was on one of these. I paid about $800 for mine, plus travel expenses, plus a VFD to run it.

Is a fully functional, running, tuned up saw like this worth $1,500 as a user-grade machine? YES!!! It will resaw veneer and do other bandsaw stuff about as well as anything I've used. No complaints. They're just not rare or particularly stunning to look at (Yates Y30, anyone?)
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

4 or 5 20” Deltas sold at auction today, all went for less than $400 and were in excellent condition. New tires, painted, etc, though 3 phase so tack on $200 for a VFD. An anomaly I think, and location location location, as this was in Indiana.