Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trim router with best dust collection ( besides festool )

Trim router with best dust collection ( besides festool )

I looking for suggestions on a trim router with great dust collection that isn't a festool.

Thanks,
    Drew
    Last edited by Drew Sanderson; 06-05-2019 at 12:28 PM.

Drew, the Makita has excellent dust collection ...

Available in both corded and cordless.

Regards from Perth

Derek

My DeWalt 'compact' router has the optional DC fixture which seems to work pretty well, but the pic of the Makita that Derek shows looks even better.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

That Makita looks perfect.

The Dewalt has excellent dust collection as well:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have the Dewalt. I have their edge guide with dust collection. It works pretty well...but probably not as well as the versions shown above. One thing though, if you are free handing like for a hinge or inlay or lettering (for example) the attached hose is a bit cumbersome. I tend to not use it in those situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    I have the Dewalt. I have their edge guide with dust collection. It works pretty well...but probably not as well as the versions shown above. One thing though, if you are free handing like for a hinge or inlay or lettering (for example) the attached hose is a bit cumbersome. I tend to not use it in those situations.
    I expected that free hand operation will be cumbersome with my Makita, but not at all. The new Festool hose with a tiny home made adapter works very well in this combo.

The dewalt is imho impossible to use unless you are edge routing. You cannot see the work when mortising.

I actually haven’t had too much difficulty seeing what I’m doing, unless it is a very short bit. Wojciech, I’d love to see a picture of your home made adaptor...I also have the Festool hose.

I have the DeWalt 611. The dust collection annoys me. It seems like it was added to the tool as an afterthought. You have to install a collection of pieces, and the hose is in the way when you're trying to watch what you're doing. And IIRC, you have to disassemble all the dust collection parts to change the router bit. The result is that I never use it. However, I mostly use this small router to do edge work -- flush trimming, small roundovers, etc. Dust collection from those operations is challenging, no matter how good the router, so the poor DeWalt design isn't a showstopper.

? about the Makita.

I have the cordless fixed base & agree, the dust collection isn't half bad. Does the same collar fit the plunge base?
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

The Grizzly trim router and MLCS Rocky (appear to be the same machine) have the same dust collection fitting as the Makita. I think the dust collection fitting would obstruct vision of the bit somewhat but that's pretty much unavoidable.

Rich, to answer your question; No, the fixed based dc shroud will not fit the plunge base. Two different shrouds.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I have the DeWalt 611 and have not had a problem with the dust collection connected to an older generation Festool shop vac (a/k/a dust extractor), other than the normal cumbersoneness of operating a tool connected to a hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    ? about the Makita.

I have the cordless fixed base & agree, the dust collection isn't half bad. Does the same collar fit the plunge base?
    Rich, I don't have the plunge base, but the answer is yes from discussions with others.

Regards from Perth

Derek