Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trim router with best dust collection ( besides festool )

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    The Dewalt has excellent dust collection as well:
    I love this router, but the DC needs to be re-engineered IMHO. For one, it is a process to remove and attach.

Second, performance overall is poor. Dados and grooves ok, but routing an edge profile or rabbet it is actually quite poor in my experience (that is collecting with a Festool extractor wide open).

The shroud also obstructs the view of the bit.

I know this isn't the answer you want, but if I were very concerned about DC I would spring for a Festool. DC on several of their other tools I have is quite superior and I would expect their routers to be the same.

Can you put a 1/2" collet into the Makita?

For those of you with dust collection hose problems, I have a DeWalt 611 with the DeWalt vacuum options for both the fixed and plunge bases. When I use it at my bench I have a plastic clothes line reel attached to the ceiling above the bench that I attach about mid loop to the vacuum hose using a Velcro strap. I also bundle the power cord and vacuum hose together with Velcro straps. The rewind spring of the clothes line is just strong enough to hold the working loop of this hose/power cord bundle above the bench and completely out of the way. I use this same technique when using one of my sanders at the work bench too. When not in use, I leave a long Velcro strap attached to the plastic line end piece, so it hangs down just enough for me to reach it when I again want to use it.

One similar to this is what I use.

https://www.amazon.com/Drynatural-Re...%2C183&sr=8-64

Charley

Sadly - not that I'm aware of. Were one ever available for the Makita compact, I would put it on the cordless & not the corded version. I've read many reports from people that have both & they all agree the cordless has way more power.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I do not imagine that there is a trim router on the market anywhere that has a 1/2" collet. For good reasons - it would encourage someone to use a router bit that is too large to be handled by such a dinky machine. Trim routers are for trim work.

I am still tossing up whether I should get the plunge base accessory for the Makita - it encourages it to be used as a small plunge router. Perhaps it will work well as such? I do have a small plunge router, an Elu MOF96 (the one on the right), which is the forerunner of the DeWalt DW615 ...

Anyone here with the plunge accessory for a trim router, and with opinions in this regard?

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have the plunge accessory for the Dewalt 611 and use it frequently. I don’t find that visibility is any more or less than the fixed base. I primarily use it for stopped groves for inlay or banding. The edge guide has a vacuum hose attachment, which might get about 80%, but again, it’s a bit cumbersome with the hose attached. May have to give Charles’ clothes line reel idea a try. The reality is that using it for what I do (1/16”-3/8” inlay) there isn’t must debris, so I rarely use the DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Sanderson View Post
    Unfortunately, you can not, however it will accept 8mm collet, if you need European (festool) bit compatibility.

How does the Makita trim router compare to the Festool MFK700 or the Bosch Colt? My particular needs would just be for laminate trimming and roundovers.

Is there a need for an adapter to connect the Makita to Festool dust collection hoses?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    How does the Makita trim router compare to the Festool MFK700 or the Bosch Colt? My particular needs would just be for laminate trimming and roundovers.

Is there a need for an adapter to connect the Makita to Festool dust collection hoses?
    Yes, you need an adapter to connect to the Festool hose. It's the same diameter as the hose so coupler is required.

How does the Makita trim router compare to the Festool MFK700 or the Bosch Colt?
    Both the Makita & the DeWalt 611 PK ( and the Porter Cable also I guess) aren't really "Trim routers". They are "compact" routers.
    They've upped the HP rating from "1HP" to "1.25HP". I can't comment on the Colt or Festool since I don't own either.
    I do have both a DeWalt 611PK and Makita cordless & can say ww/out any reservation - the Makita cordless is darn near the equal in power of my single speed Porter Cable 690.
    As I mentioned above, the cordless Makita has more oomph than the corded (according to many that own both).

Anyone here with the plunge accessory for a trim router, and with opinions in this regard?
    Yep -I have the plunge base and fixed base for my DeWalt 611. I never use the fixed base. The plunge base is more versatile.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Just used my Bosch Colt...love the router...hate having no DC on it. With all those attachments, why no decent DC? I'll have to check out that Makita.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Both the Makita & the DeWalt 611 PK ( and the Porter Cable also I guess) aren't really "Trim routers". They are "compact" routers.
    They've upped the HP rating from "1HP" to "1.25HP".
    That leads to a new question. What's the difference between a compact router and a trim router?

I've used the DeWalt 611PK for inlay work, but now am just looking for something pretty lightweight with a stable enough base to trim laminate without tipping and gouging the work.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    .. What's the difference between a compact router and a trim router?...
    Potayto potahto

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    ? about the Makita.

I have the cordless fixed base & agree, the dust collection isn't half bad. Does the same collar fit the plunge base?
    You need different adapter for he plunge base. I actually got canadian version of the kit, which also came with a Systainer

Anyone have the Festool MFK700EQ?

It's less than 1HP, so seems very underpowered compared to the Makita or DeWalt. For trim work I can't imagine you need a lot of power, but is that little enough?