Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trim router with best dust collection ( besides festool )

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    That leads to a new question. What's the difference between a compact router and a trim router?
    These are all compact routers. Sometimes called trim routers because they can be used for that.

The Festool 700 is an actual Trim Router and isn't really usable as a small router. It is strictly optimized for trim work and some people think they work really well for that. It isn't useful for the same uses as a compact router.

I have the festool trim router. I would highly recommend against it. Save your money.
    There is no, as in zero visualization of the cut when in use.
    Height adjustment is clunky, and there is a very small range to adjust in- around 1/4” to 3/8”.
    Festool really, really missed the mark on this tool!
    It is however, probably the smoothest, most vibration free trim router I have used, but it is so limited in capability.

From what I’ve read in the Festool forum, it works great for the pros that use it for its intended purpose. It is not designed to be, nor can it be used as a small, general purpose trim router, without issues.
    I for one, wish Festool would have produced accessories to make it more versatile. The machine itself, is just as nice as other Festools.

DeWalt and others also make small routers called laminate trimmers. My DeWalt laminate trimmer is a 7/8 hp with a smaller diameter body than my DW611. It's their DW670 model and it has 4 different bases specifically designed for laminate trimming. One of the bases tilts the bit for angled cuts. Another has an offset router collet to let you rout very close to corners. It's driven by a timing belt from the main collet. There is also a small size fixed base with both a small base footprint and a larger round base about the size of the 611 plunge base. The 4th base is designed for trimming a piece of laminate to closely join an already installed piece. It's called a seaming base. If I was buying a router for mostly laminate trimming purposes it would be the DeWalt 670 kit and not the DW611. Of course, it also makes a pretty good edge trimmer like it's bigger brother. Other brands of these "laminate trimmers" are available too.

Charley

Makes me wonder if Formica counters will make a comeback. Haven't seen them around here in new homes for years.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    DeWalt and others also make small routers called laminate trimmers. My DeWalt laminate trimmer is a 7/8 hp with a smaller diameter body than my DW611. It's their DW670 model and it has 4 different bases specifically designed for laminate trimming.
    A quick google search for "Dewalt 670" returned a chainsaw. Seems excessive to me, but I'll give anything a try.

When I searched for DW670 it appears that the DW670 has been discontinued. It looks like the closest match is their DWE6000. I don't see the option for any additional bases for it, so this may be a non-starter. They must be pushing people to the DW611.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 06-09-2019 at 11:25 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

What's the difference between a compact router and a trim router?
    IMHO - the name, grip, usage, power and accessories (or lack of).

The original laminate/palm/trim routers were 1 HP and under devices, made for one hand use - focused on trimming laminate and lacked any sort of accessory such as knobs (handles) or anything other than a simple fixed base.

Compact routers seem to be the recent incarnations with - increased power, > 1hp, various accessories such as different bases, the ability to use them as a simple "palm router" or add a plunge base or another type of base and extend the scope of work one can do with it.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I have the DeWalt that used to be a Elu, 621, on my wish list. It has a dust collection hook up on one of the posts and is a small, 2hp, plunge router. I want it for the dust collection.

I have a bosch colt and I like it but bits slip sometimes. The motor can do more than the 1/4 collet can. I prefer 1/2 collets. I like my 690s but they throw dust all over. They are normal routers. I still think I'd rather sweep up afterwards than pay Festool prices. But I may buy the DeWalt 621.