Thread: DC duct work through floor tips

DC duct work through floor tips

I’ll be putting together some of the duct work from my Clearvue over the next week or so. Going slow to see how tools and duct layout evolves, as the original plan has already changed several times.

I’ll be using 6” metal snaplock pipe and metal fittings.

Since this is all coming up through the shop basement through the main shop wood floor, I was looking for any tips - mainly how to support the pipe or the “Y’s” as they come through the holes in the floor.

I looked at some hvac collars at HD but none seem to look like good options. I also bought a 7” metal flange collar from Oneida but it’s too big for the 6” pipe (the 6” flange wouldn’t take the 6” pipe), and incredibly expensive.

Thx

jon

I am looking for the same thing. Take picture when you figure it out, Jon.

Jon, you are correct to be considering support for the duct as it comes through the floor. Aside from cutting the holes as close to the duct diameter as possible, there are a few different things I can think of to support the duct. You could use two of the bolt around pipe brackets if you can size them properly; one in contact with the bottom of the floor surface and one in contact with the top of the floor surface...like a sandwich. The bracket side is typically flat and could be screwed to a block that's fastened to the floor to lock it in place. You could do a similar thing with a number of wooden rings you make with the center hole providing a "snug slip fit" over the duct and then use a few small metal ell-brackets with pop rivets into the duct to lock things down. You may also be able to find bendable flange material that you can wrap around the duct at floor level, fasten and then screw to the floor. Etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Trying to grab duct as it runs vertically is a challenge. However, supporting duct as it runs horizontally is easy. Your duct runs vertical where it penetrates the floor. Follow the ductwork to where it turns horizontal, and support those horizontal runs.

Jim, I’m sorry but I just don’t follow you. I do appreciate your many very helpful posts but I’m perhaps too slow to get this one.

Jamie, I’ll definitely have lots of support below, but since I’m hoping to have the blast gates just above the “Y’s” as they connect to the piece coming through floor I want it as solid as possible.

Jon

If I get a moment, I'll try to scribble on a napkin or something
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Why not just use some plumbers strap under the pipe where it goes under the floor joists? Then the elbows will be supported where they go vertical through the floor. You will be using Y's turned horizontal, and then an elbow to go up through the floor?