Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder/wood dust in little piles on lumber

I cut a few cords of (green) maple and cherry (blowdowns) last April or May, and I don't know, the planets must have been aligned perfectly or something, but that wood was loaded with PP beetles. When I went to start bringing in some of the wood last winter to burn it, there were many, many pounds of firewood converted to frass. Seemed like every time I made a "firewood run" to bring a truckload into the house, I got that miserable frass blowing into my eyes...it's hard to get out of your eyes and a real irritant!

I Googled PP beetles to make sure they weren't a threat to the wood in your house when you brought them into the house with your firewood, and the paper I found claimed they present no threat...but I'm not entirely convinced. The piles of frass continued appearing long after the wood was in the house...

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    Timbor doesn't sink deep into the wood. It's fine as a preventative, but not once you have infestation.

- Of this I am 100% certain.
    I ordered Bora care also. Anything I think is infected I will spray Bora. Other stuff I spray timber.

If you could get the heat in the entire building to 140 for about 10 hours and hold it, you could rid the building of ppb. Of course there is the risk of getting the building on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    If you could get the heat in the entire building to 140 for about 10 hours and hold it, you could rid the building of ppb. Of course there is the risk of getting the building on fire.
    The only way to get that building to 140 would be to light it on fire.

In the day, I have been in hay lofts that approached 130+ but unlikely it would remain that high for the summer daylight hours. Are the board lengths such that you might seal them in black plastic and leave in the sun?
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Normally PPB don't care for walnut heartwood and remain in the sapwood. Triming off the sapwood may take care take care of the problem. There are exceptions.

Kiln drying will not kill them unless heat treating is part of the process for 24 hours.

Heating the lumber in a cargo trailer is a DIY option.

As already stated, chemicals are for preventing infestations, not a cure.

For those interested in learning more about powder post beetles, there is an interesting paper from University of Kentucky on the subject. Run a search for Entfact-648; very good information.

https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/files/ef616.pdf

Regards,

J.
    Last edited by Jacques Gagnon; 06-12-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    I ordered Bora care also. Anything I think is infected I will spray Bora. Other stuff I spray timber.

If you have Timbor, and want it to work like Bora, you could probably mix it with some Ethyl Glycol. That will help the Timbor penetrate the wood better.

- But excercise caution as that's nasty stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    In fact that thread is a sticky in the Sawmill & Kiln Drying forum.

That sticky is from me. It has the formula for both Bora Care & Timbor types.

Sadly, I have become an expert on beetles, over the years.

=====================================

BTW - At some point (years ago) I made a few semi-significant changes to all that data. I sent it to the moderators but I don't think they ever updated the sticky, which is unfortunate. The information is VERY long, so I won't post it here, but if anyone wants the updated docs, shoot me a message & your email address, and I'll send it as PDF files.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 06-13-2019 at 7:25 PM.