Thread: Tool gloat: It's always a good day when you can pick up some nice hand planes!

Tool gloat: It's always a good day when you can pick up some nice hand planes!

Came across some hand planes today. Hopefully, I didn't overlook any missing, replaced or broken parts. The ones I was interested in Stanley #7, #5 & #78 and Union #6 appear at first glance to be in good condition and have the original parts. We'll see. The others 2 Stanley #4, Corsair #4 with plastic handles and a blue bodied #5 with an Ace Hardware lever cap and a Wards Master blade. No maker's mark on the body that I saw. I'll post more details and some questions on that Union #6 after I do a little cleanup and examination tomorrow. Here's a couple of pics of them in my shop.

IMG_8659.jpgIMG_8660.jpg

Blog Entries
    A decent gloat indeed.

The #6 appears to be a pre-lateral model. Which way is the depth adjuster turned to advance the blade? An old Union plane that was mine at one time had right hand threads on the adjuster instead of the left hand threads that became common on Stanley, and many other planes, starting in the 1890s.

The two Stanley #4 planes look different than what might be expected:

Planes.jpg

The one on the right looks like a type 13 but the depth adjuster looks like it is 1". A type 13 would normally have a 1-1/4" depth adjuster.

The one on the left looks like a much newer model than the other. The lever cap is impossible to read. The lateral adjuster looks like the ones used on their lines for retailers who wanted a branding reflecting their store(s).

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Forgot to mention the #78 looks to be complete.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Wow Jim! That's some good identification of these planes! You also touched base on many of the points I've got questions about.

1) The Union #6: The depth adjustment is like the Stanley planes, turning the wheel to the left raises the iron, right lowers it. I thought it was missing the lateral adjustment lever but you say there are versions before this feature. I took two pics of where the lever should be on this plane and to me it appears it should have one. Would you please confirm? Any thoughts about the likelihood I'll be able to find a correct replacement? Is there a consensus about the quality of Union planes? This one certainly feels like it could be a good user. I'm assuming the Union iron is correct to the plane. Do you have an idea when this was made/available?

IMG_8662.jpgIMG_8661.jpgIMG_8663.jpg

2) The Stanley #4C: You are correct it has a 1" depth adj wheel. It was a very long time since that 1.25" wheel was introduced I'm thinking this may be a replacement. Thoughts? With the single 1910 patent date and no ring for the knob it is a type 13. The base of the knob has about a third broken off. With the knob replaced I think it will still be a nice user for someone.

3) The Other "Stanley" #4: The lever cap is a Stanley Handyman replacement wasn't what you were expecting and so difficult for you to tell. ;-) It has no Stanley or Bailey cast on the bed. No 4 is cast on the toe in front of the knob. Made in USA cast in front of the knob. See pic of the iron below. Not sure if this came with the plane or not. Lastly, the lateral adj lever is not stamped Stanley and it has a whale tail at the end. For all other intents and purposes it sure looks and feels like a Stanley. If Stanley OEM'd it for someone else any clues as to who would have retailed it? Any thoughts on age? I just noticed the sides on this plane are almost 1/8" thick. Interesting. Again, this should be a good user for someone.

4) The Stanley #78: I wondered if it was missing any parts. Great to know it isn't. Next will be to figure out how, when & where to operate it. It has "Pat'd 6-7-10" cast on the opposite side of the body from the Stanley No. 78 casting. Any thoughts as to age?

5) The Stanley #5C & #7: Both have much in common - 3 patent dates, large depth adj wheel, irons stamped with Type 10 details "Stanley" "Rule & Level Co" "New Britain Conn" "USA", Bailey cast on the toe and both lever caps are blank. The #7 has a low knob while the #5 has a high knob. I'm curious if the irons are likely replacements given those go back all the way to Type 10. And I understand they would have used existing stock but that's 10 years from the end of Type 10 (1907-1909) to the start of Type 12 (1919-1924) which these appear to be. Seems like a stretch to me. Thoughts about what seems to be original and not?

Amazing how little rust these old planes have on them. Someone took pretty good care of them in their past life. What rust there is is mostly surface rust that's pretty recent. The seller said these belonged to her "mother's husband's father-in-law" if I caught that right. Someone previous to her had a nice little shelf where these planes lived. She wanted to keep the shelf.

Thanks for all the info and details Jim!

Mike

Trying to learn a little bit about the #78 and in doing a little research I see that many of the later planes have a cutter adjustment lever which this #78 does not. According to Patrick Leach, that feature was introduced in 1925 making this plane at least pre-'25. It also has the fish scales cast into the handle (although they are as strong as some pics I've seen) but again per Patrick Leach the fish scale casting in the handle started around 1910. It has "Pat'd 6-7-10" cast on the body therefore probably made after 1910 possibly 1910 at the earliest. So I think this #78 was made between 1910-1925. Thoughts? It will be fun to try it out!
    Last edited by Mike Manning; 06-04-2019 at 11:29 PM.

Blog Entries
    I thought it was missing the lateral adjustment lever but you say there are versions before this feature.
    My knowledge on Union planes is almost zero, even as to whether or not they ever offered planes without a lateral adjustment.

Here is a good source of information:

https://www.timetestedtools.net/2016...ow-about-them/

It appears from your images there was a lateral lever that broke off. As you can see in the images on the linked page, some of the Union Mfg. Co. planes had lateral adjustments with the disk above the pivot point. To me this is a more intuitive design, moving the lever to the side one wanted to increase the cutting depth.

It was a very long time since that 1.25" wheel was introduced I'm thinking this may be a replacement. Thoughts?
    Most likely a replacement for one reason or the other. It could also be the frog was mixed up with another by a previous owner. Okay, just looked at your first images again. It looks like the #5 could, in reality, be a late type 11. That would give it a tall knob but a small adjustment wheel. That would keep it all in the family.

The lever cap is a Stanley Handyman [edited] If Stanley OEM'd it for someone else any clues as to who would have retailed it?
    The Stanley Handyman line was sold through all kinds of hardware and home goods stores. What always confused me is there were a few Handyman Hardware stores in my area during my younger days. This was before ACE and True Value were on the scene.

Your estimation for the time period of the #78 is the same as mine. Based on patents being in effect for 15 years 1910-1925 is spot on. That is also the time period of that particular trademark. Yours looks to be set up for left hand use.

My limited knowledge on the Union Mfg. Co. seems to recall it is from before 1917. In 1917, if my recollector is working, Union Mfg. Co. spun off Union Plane Co. In 1920 Stanley purchased Union Plane Co.

I'm curious if the irons are likely replacements given those go back all the way to Type 10.
    They may have been old stock in the store where the replacement blades were purchased.

Recently on an adventure through an old hardware store a NOS (New Old Stock) 1-3/4" plane blade was found at the bottom of a drawer. It had a VICTORY trade mark stamp. That is a trade mark Stanley used during World War Two. So anything is possible when it comes to mixed parts on old planes.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 06-05-2019 at 2:15 AM.

Blog Entries
    If you care, automotive black paint will do a good job replacing the japanning if needed.

Forgive my boldness, but what did you pay for them? In any case, they look good and you did well.
    Jerry