Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PM2000 Wheels Disintegrated!!!

Well, just to put a period on the end of this thread, I just got finished putting the PM2K on a Shop Fox D2058A, with cast iron wheels. Works great and is easy to move around. The pain was, I had to raise my router cabinet and outfeed cabinet a bit. Lesson learned, for sure. Thanks all.

Same here, as all my woodcraft red heavy duty casters failed. Maybe a dozen or so. Lasted 5-10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Greg Jones View Post
    The orange heavy-duty casters from Woodcraft that I had on my router table did the same thing last winter. They were over 12 years old, so I wasn’t too disappointed with how long they lasted.

That’s why I always use steel wheels.......Regards, Rod

I bought the Shop Fox base with cast iron wheels for a Powermatic saw. It works great.
    I move the saw a lot, because I need room. The lifters on the base are just bolts threaded through the base. I lift the saw with a pry bar, and the feet spin up or down. The pry bar live on the mobile base. Lifting a saw with those bolts in soft metal seemed like a short run solution.

Quote Originally Posted by William Hodge View Post
    I bought the Shop Fox base with cast iron wheels for a Powermatic saw. It works great.
    I move the saw a lot, because I need room. The lifters on the base are just bolts threaded through the base. I lift the saw with a pry bar, and the feet spin up or down. The pry bar live on the mobile base. Lifting a saw with those bolts in soft metal seemed like a short run solution.
    William...can't quite picture what you are explaining. Do you use the SF base or the PM lifters? I've never looked under the saw to inspect the saw's lift mechanism, so maybe that's why I'm not seeing it.

I'm I must somehow be missing something with a lot of these replies. Why should one need to buy a mobile base for a saw which supposedly comes equipped with a mobile base? It is simply a manufacturing defect with deserves/deserved correction by the manufacturer. I realize that a lot of manufacturers only back up their warranties with necessary replacement parts now, but goodness! There used to be a word called integrity. What has been lost?

The saw is an old Powermatic 66, with no wheels. I think that the Shop Fox lifting screws threaded into the soft metal base aren't going to last, because the threads have gotten worn. The base is great otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by William Hodge View Post
    The saw is an old Powermatic 66, with no wheels. I think that the Shop Fox lifting screws threaded into the soft metal base aren't going to last, because the threads have gotten worn. The base is great otherwise.
    No...the saw is a PM2000. The issue is, the OEM wheels are the red, heavy duty wheels that disintegrate after time. Rather than calling CS at PM, I was more inclined to buy a mobile base with cast wheels, to avoid future issues. I think PM would replace what I had, however my thought was to never have to address the issue again.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    No...the saw is a PM2000. The issue is, the OEM wheels are the red, heavy duty wheels that disintegrate after time. Rather than calling CS at PM, I was more inclined to buy a mobile base with cast wheels, to avoid future issues. I think PM would replace what I had, however my thought was to never have to address the issue again.
    I wasn't being clear. My saw is the old one, a green Powermatic 66. The Shop Fox mobile base with cast iron wheels is a great addition.

Sorry William. I was more addressing Jim, who seemed a bit confused about what we were talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Sorry William. I was more addressing Jim, who seemed a bit confused about what we were talking about.
    It's Ok, I get miscommunications at work between the design team and the production team, and I'm a one person business.

Blog Entries
    A bit late, but I replaced one about 6 yrs ago, and all four last year with some woodcraft wheels that fit the powermatic mounts. I expect every 5 or so years is the urethane lifespab
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others