Thread: StanleyNo. 358 Time to re-assemble

Cool StanleyNo. 358 Time to re-assemble

Yes, an older 4 patent date...
    IMG_8402.JPG
    Task today was to put all these parts..
    IMG_8391.JPG
    back together. Some needed a coat of fresh grease. There is an axle...that had a bad habit of either sliding back out, or, turning around the wrong way...
    Each part had to go in just so....and in a certain order...small slotted bolts to adjust that brass barrel...plunger and a spring needed to go in, be held in place, while the next part was slid in...so when the lever is moved part "A" connects to the plunger, moves it to unlock the swing arm....a lot of fussing going on..
    IMG_8394.JPG
    Top view. Larger end of the plunger is the locking pin...the shaft with a spring..
    IMG_8396.JPG
    Other end. Slotted plug adjust a slotted barrel, slot fits in a groove in the frame's quadrant. Slotted plug adjust how tight or loose the fit is. There is also a "keeper" ( looks like a lateral lever) that holds the lever in the in-locked setting. So you can slide the arm to the next spot, without fussing with the locking pin.
    was able to adjust things enough, that the arm slid into place, so I could install the King bolt and it's collar..
    IMG_8397.JPG
    Collar is a very tight. slip-fit...not supposed to move. King bolt has enough room so the swing arm can rotate. Pnce the swing arm is all adjusted and ready to go, THEN I can add the pointer..
    IMG_8399.JPG
    Because those 2 bolts will not allow the arm to slide into place...BTW: those are not degree settings on the scale....those tell you how many cuts that setting needs to do, to make a certain angled box,,,,"4" being a 45 degree cut, to make 4 sides of a box.
    IMG_8398.JPG
    There IS a zero ( 90 degrees) then it goes to 24....then on down to "4".
    This part is now assembled...stay tuned, was a busy day..

Parts are on the way....need a few to complete this mitre box...
    IMG_8404.JPG
    Front saw guide...needs bolts for the brass stops..may be getting a new base block...one adjust screw is frozen and broken...at the top of this guide..
    IMG_8403.JPG
    All here. "tab" is the saw holder release. There was a "trigger" on the saw itself, that would trip the release lever, and the saw would lower. Thunbscrew is for a flat bar stock to align and hold the two guide sets...these guides are from before Stanley added roller bearing inside them, as for the back guide?
    IMG_8406.JPG
    Work in progress...parts on the way.
    These two pointy screws..
    IMG_8407.JPG
    Screw in from the back of the fence....points keep wood from sliding side to side.
    There are 12 very small wood screws....to the point I needed to predrill each hole in the new deck..
    IMG_8410.JPG
    Then used another "Yankee" to drive the screws..
    IMG_8412.JPG
    No. 30A. Even "clocked" the slots on the screws..
    IMG_8413.JPG
    There is also 3 larger screws, to attach the mitre box to a bench...the fourth was a "leveling" screw/bolt, to prevent twisting the frame when you screw it down. One foot is threaded for it.
    Stay tuned

This mitre box uses "stock holders" and has clamps to hold them in place...
    IMG_8408.JPG
    ( pair of thumbscrews are on the way) These hold a flat bar...
    IMG_8415.JPG
    So....I need to drill and tap for that big bolt, laying there. Thread the bolt through, cut the excess threads off, and pean the bolt in place,,the remove the hex head part. Round over the sharp edges on the top. I also need to cut a shallow dado..
    IMG_8414.JPG
    So the bar will sit flush with the top of the deck.
    First off...I need a couple new hacksaw blades...3 hacksaws....3 dull blades...been awhile? Would made it easier to cut the bolts to lengths...
    Waiting on parts to arrive...maybe by next week, I can slide the Disston No.4 made expreesly for a Stanley Mitre Box....28" x 5"...3 bolt handle, into the "new" mitre box.
    stay tuned.

Metal working today...once the jigs were made....

Had to find a sharp drill bit, as the first one I tried...wasn't. Then, run the tap through the hole...where is the tap wrench?
    IMG_8432.JPG
    Visegrips will work, just not quite as well....decided a 6" sweep Stanley Brace could do the job..
    IMG_8433.JPG
    And, that old tappett wrench was the right size, to run the bolts all the way in...
    IMG_8434.JPG
    Old hacksaw, new blade...cut the threaded part off, grinder to "polish" the remains flush with the bottom of the bar...then saw the hex head off the bolts, and the grinder to smooth the tops of the posts, even a slight round-over..
    IMG_8435.JPG
    So...now I have two stock rest/holders.....need to cut two dados for these to slide in....

Stay tuned

Now that I don't need it at the moment..
    IMG_8438.JPG
    My large tap wrench wanders in from the van....One yard sale today..
    IMG_8436.JPGIMG_8437.JPG
    2 items, for $7...might find some use for them? 5" hook &loop ROS....6" C clamp ( Great Neck Tool Co.) never have enough clamps...

had a few toys to bring upstairs..
    IMG_8445.JPG
    New blade in the knife, even...wound up just using a chisel, and that hammer..
    IMG_8442.JPG
    Chop & pare....just so the stock rest will sit down flush with the top of the deck..
    IMG_8444.JPG
    Then repeat for the other end..
    IMG_8448.JPG
    Have the two stock holders..
    IMG_8446.JPG
    The pointy ends stick through the fence, and keep the stock from sliding around...

Need to stain the new deck....yet...not sure I want to varnish it, though...

Stay tuned,, may have this up and running by Monday...I hope..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking great, Stephen!

Have the new stock rests stowed away...
    IMG_8477.JPG
    Deck has 2 coats, so far, of stain ( trying to even things out)
    IMG_8478.JPG
    may need another one...don't know about a varnish, though...
    IMG_8480.JPG
    Numbers have been cleaned off, so I can read them better...(this box will cut up to 60 degrees, BTW)
    IMG_8481.JPG
    Even have the correct saw for this box...5" x 28" , etch says it is made expressly for a Stanley Mitre Box, by Henry Disston & Sons.
    IMG_8482.JPG
    Older style, 3 bolt handle, too.
    Parts should arrive here by next Tuesday....should have this old box ready to go after that...
    Stay tuned

Box of parts showed up, today! Had work to do...bolts to install..
    Stanley 358 guide tops.JPGStanley 358, front details,saw guide.JPGStanley 358, new bolts.jpgStanley 358, assembled.JPG
    A test cut to do...
    Stanley 358 , test cut 1.JPG
    Only scrap I had that was handy...results?
    Stanley 358, test cut results.JPG
    Swing the arm around to "4" on the dial...
    Stanley 358, set to 45.JPG
    other than holding the saw up a tad..was a one handed operation....and it even locked. King bolt did need torqued down a bit more....not a problem...
    Might just come in handy...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 06-11-2019 at 1:44 PM.

had a problem with the tumbscrews on the top of the guides...stripped threads...
    Attachment 411230
    Bought some new bolts..and a 10-24 tap with it's own drill bit. I was going to use a small tap wrench..
    Attachment 411231
    was too small...we have ways, now..
    Attachment 411232
    The cast iron parts didn't need any oil
    Attachment 411233
    Ah,,that explains things....that shoulder bolt doesn't go with the mitre box...
    Attachment 411234
    Top bar had three holes. Drill bit first, then the oiled tap..test fit..
    Attachment 411235
    had to "chase a few threads in the guide bars, to clean them out...cleaned up the bolts that hold these tops in place..
    Attachment 411236
    Stay tuned..
    What is with the photos, again....not showing up?

Shows here as a blue " attachment number" not a picture? Getting a bit too old....FIX IT!
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 06-12-2019 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Photo , AGAIN

And the back assembly..
    Attachment 411238
    Moved the mitre box and saw over to the bench..
    Attachment 411239
    Rehab completed! This is almost as big as...
    Attachment 411240
    My Langdon No. 75 ACME, with it's 5 x 30 saw...Dueling Mitre Boxes?

Thanks for following along...
    Photos are loading funny, today? same with this bunch...what is going on....not one dang thing has changed on my end, either....and ZERO problems on other sites with the same photos......FIX THIS!
    Last edited by steven c newman; 06-12-2019 at 10:11 AM.

Problem with the thumbscrews...was they were for another type of Stanley product...
    Stanley 358, top bar rehab 3.JPG
    The ones on the right came with the pile of parts...they are a tad too big for this box..
    Stanley 358, wrong bolt.JPG
    But, they will fit the Stanley #78 and the Stanley 45 with no problems...Bought a pair of the 10-24 x 1/2" thumbscrews, and the tap & drill set
    Stanley 358, tap wrench 2.JPG
    On these cast iron caps, I basically chased the threads...didn't even need any oil...the bar that connects the two saw guides, had 3 holes drilled, one for each location the guides would be...1 in back, 2 in front..except there wasn't any threads. Drilled and tapped. bar is now locked in place, and can't slide loose.
    Stanley 358, top bar rehab, test fit.JPG
    Then the 2 bolts that connect this to the top of the guide can be installed. Again, two bolts were wrong, so I chase the threads in the rods, to clean them out a bit...the 2 wrong bolts worked just fine on the Stanley 45....replaced two bolts whose slots were messed up..works for me.

As for the "other" Stanley Mitre Box....it now has a brand new, Poplar deck....
    Stanley No. 2246A, new deck.JPG
    Used the just completed Stanley 358 to cut the walls for the stock rest's dados...
    Stanley No. 2246A, stock rest details.JPG
    The OEM was getting a bit cut up...need to match the orange "Pumpkin Pine" stain Stanley used...
    Used a Stanley #3c to make the bevel along the back rdge of the deck..
    Stanley No. 2246A, new deck 2.JPG
    As soon as the Dungeon Creek dries out, this one can go back to the shop, and sit on it's own stand...

Just a bump...since Jason did find one of these boxes....
    Dungeon Saw til, mitre saw location 1.JPG
    Stanley No. 358