Thread: Spray lacquer

Spray lacquer

I am finishing a stained end table dog kennel and intend to use canned spray lacquer, but I noticed when picking up some minwax brand spray that Rust-Oleum and krylon have a clear lacquer spray as well and for half the cost! Are there any key problems or reasons? I can't find much and I'm very green in the subject of spray finishes.

I've used the krylon and really don't like it. The Minwax is a great product, but, watch the humidity when spraying. All of these spray lacquers will blush on you if the humidity is not just right. Speaking from experience here. Another word of advice is to spray light coats instead of heavy ones. It will take several coats to build up, but it will be a better finish in the end.
    Lacquer is bad on your lungs, so use adequate ventilation and a mask approved for such. Make sure to wait at least 2-3 weeks to allow it to cure completely before buffing.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

I looove the Deft lacquer rattle cans, mostly because of the fan shaped spray/nozzle. Superior to the cone shape of most other brands. I wish all spray paint had the fan spray. Good looking finish and fairly durable. I use it mostly as a clear coat on metal but have had success with small wood projects. Under $6 at my Home Depot.
    Last edited by Bennett Ostroff; 06-05-2019 at 1:32 AM.

Make sure you scuff sand at twice to cut down all nubs and overall smooth surface - mostly after the first, and slightly after second coat.

Vacuum or blow off dust, any remaining white haze will re melt using Lacquer.

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Depending on the porosity and grain structure... you will need at least 4 wet coats of Lacquer, very possibly like 8, depending on how uniform you want the end result.

The softer cells will soak up like a sponge and will look "duller" than harder cells near it, so the glossier the sheen you use, the more coats you will need to end up w an even sheen.

Buy 4 cans to start for small end table.

Depending on weather, the specific spray you use, etc... re coats may be possible in as little as ballpark 15 minutes.

If you do more than like 4 coats, do a third sanding at like coat 5 , and then follow ideally w two final coats.

One would be fine... but w limited spray experience two is better.

Any runs/ sags... let fully dry... scrape w razor or cabinet scraper, spot sand, and it will be OK after recoat.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 07-13-2019 at 10:26 PM.
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Too light of spray will give orangepeel due to not enough material to flow out.

Too much gives runs.

Target is between those two extremes.

For the less experienced, if possible for the project, horizontal is way more forgiving than vertical.

Marc

Quick Google, the Rustoleum cheaper product is NOT nitro lacquer like the Deft and others are.

Be aware... a different product that may behave differently.

For example, due to it's solvent re melting character, old school Nitro Cellulose can be recoated even after years w/o sanding for a mechanical tooth.

But the RO cheaper one says you need to sand if over one week.

I'm pretty sure anything you get will work, but also bet it will be a learning experience.

*** SO... make a few sample scraps FIRST... BEFORE doing the table.

That line is the best summed up advice in this entire thread.

Marc

I’ve sprayed a lot of Deft lacquer and won’t use anything else in rattle cans. I spray one thin coat, wait 30 minutes and spray another. Let that dry 30-60 minutes and sand lightly using 1500 grit cloth-backed abrasive wrapped around a foam block to remove dust nibs. Vacuum & wipe off dust and spray another coat-repeat.

Ive never found more than 4 coats necessary unless your building up a finish you intend to buff out later, for a really nice table top for example. But I only use rattle cans for small projects.

Let us know how it turns out!