Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Made it to the finish line!

Blog Entries
    Congratulations, you'll love it and in a few weeks you'll wonder how you ever found time to go to work.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Congratulations Brian! I wish you a long, happy, healthy retirement!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Congrats on the change to a different phase of life. Did it myself last July and it is quite a change. You will be busier than ever but no more time clocks to punch. Enjoy.

Congratulations, Brian! I'm in my second month of retirement and I think I am busier now, but I'm busy with things I want to do.

I forgot to mention...there IS a little 'withdrawal' period which can be both frustrating and humorous at the same time. We get so conditioned to certain things around work that when they suddenly are not there, it can be "interesting". Some of that is honestly the sudden change in communication...all those folks that you interacted with daily including "socially at work" get missed a bit. Not all of them ...but likely most. About three months did it for me...but even today I sometime miss those morning conversations with my "partner in crime" and her manager who is also a good friend.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I forgot to mention...there IS a little 'withdrawal' period which can be both frustrating and humorous at the same time. We get so conditioned to certain things around work that when they suddenly are not there, it can be "interesting". Some of that is honestly the sudden change in communication...all those folks that you interacted with daily including "socially at work" get missed a bit. Not all of them ...but likely most. About three months did it for me...but even today I sometime miss those morning conversations with my "partner in crime" and her manager who is also a good friend.
    Thanks Jim. I experienced this to some degree when I got laid off about 13 years ago. Luckily I found work within 3 months. I have a couple of good friends at work also getting ready to retire. We've talked about this very thing and pledged to keep meeting for lunch regularly. One of them referred to it as a "Romeo" group - retired old men eating out.

I personally tend to have a small social circle compared to others, but I certainly don't want to go full hermit. Volunteering with my woodworking club will create some new friendships. And It's nice to jump on SMC and see what the Creekers are up to. I hope to contribute here more than I have. I'm also fortunate to live on a court where I have 4 neighbors that are retired or work independently at home. So there is usually someone out and about.

But there are a lot of friends at work that I will miss talking to. I tell myself that I will work to maintain those connections, but right now I'm not sure how best to do that. But I have plenty of time to figure things out.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    We've talked about this very thing and pledged to keep meeting for lunch regularly. One of them referred to it as a "Romeo" group - retired old men eating out.
    ROFLOL!!!! For many years I've had lunch at a place just down the road owned by a friend (and my younger daughter works there), sometimes nearly daily until I retired. (I worked virtual office for 21 years so when I wasn't traveling, I made it a daily practice to "leave work" for an hour mid-day to clear my head) I've maintained the habit, but reduced to once a week. While I don't share a table with anyone, there are many regulars, so the nods and hellos remain a highlight. I also don't have a big local social circle, so I can relate!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    One of them referred to it as a "Romeo" group - retired old men eating out.
    Our Romeo group had a discussion as to what else Romeo could stand for in this regard and the best idea was : Repeating old memories ever over.

Congrats. In less than a month, you will be wondering how you ever had time to work. My "to do" list grows daily, and so will yours. You didn't reach the finish line, only rounded the far turn.

Congrats!! I'm looking at 6 more years if the company I work for stays "a company". I've been in I.T. work since 1985 and I'm way past ready for a change. Being oncall every month for a week at a time and when "the world falls apart" I still get called in to work even when on vacation.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Congrats. In less than a month, you will be wondering how you ever had time to work. My "to do" list grows daily, and so will yours. You didn't reach the finish line, only rounded the far turn.
    Well, based on week one, I agree with you and others about how busy retirement will be... Caught up on all the yard work I was behind on. And got a nice sunburn to boot. Geesh, if week 2 is like week 1, I'm going to need a vacation pretty soon.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher