Thread: Woodworking Magazines

Blog Entries

Woodworking Magazines

I subscribe to a couple and the material in both of them has not interested me recently.
    I have past issues that I revisit and enjoy reading old issues occasionally.

Either everything has been written, or I'm a bit jaded. I just picked up a recent issue and found
    nothing of interest.

Am I the only old dog with these sentiments?
    Just wondering . . . .

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have subscribed to Fine Woodworking for many years and am having the same reaction. Maybe part of our problem is that we have learned most of the woodworking tricks over the years [now if I can just remember them] and I am not interested in doing the projects described in great detail. My projects are things that I or my friends/relatives need. I still look for evaluations of new tools but that is about it - and I really don't need many new tools.

Isn't maturing wonderful?

Mortise and Tenon is nice I think.

I recently read an article (recent means this year) with instructions on building a knock down draw horse, which looked interesting. I don't remember which magazine, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Mortise and Tenon is nice I think.

I recently read an article (recent means this year) with instructions on building a knock down draw horse, which looked interesting. I don't remember which magazine, however.
    Mortice and tennon and Youtube channels and Blogs are much better and more interesting than the magazines....and they are free...(other than M and t...)

Blog Entries
    I just put down two magazines and was about to post about it and then I remembered I have posted about it before.
    Oh well, I keep subscribing to them.

I found deals on Wood Magazine and Popular Woodworking at prices that barely covered the shipping. Guess that s why I keep throwing them out after skimming them as have no projects or info I find interesting. Won’t be renewing any more magazines. Not because of my great woodworking abilities (joking) but due to lack of new ideas. Strangely my interest now is primarily Fine Homebuilding as there are great articles of proper construction techniques and renovations. Found some really helpful ideas for my basement remodel there.

Over the years they tend to rehash the same information, save for maybe new projects (I do like the new projects) and new tool reviews. I'm always looking for deals on exotic woods but find that most deals on eBay are better than what I find in Wood. I like the idea of Wood's data base on a thumb drive though. Here's a little USB flash drive with every issue of Wood magazine on it. It takes up no room, you just have to research on your laptop. And it's upgradable with new issues. A deal for it comes along usually around Christmas time.

I got an email from Fine Homebuilding this morning advertising their All Access program, which includes the print magazine, web access to to all articles, videos and back issues, as well as other content like step-by-step videos and illustrations. The price is $57.90/year, which doesn't seem too bad for that kind of access. I'm debating whether or not to subscribe. Disclaimer - I do subscribe to the print magazine and find the content valuable.

I have lots of old Fine Woodworking mags, new mags are 1/3 as thick, many full page ads, and lots of rehashed projects and tips.... and Fine Woodworking wants to know why I stoped my subscription........... Randy

Blog Entries
    I just got a Popular Woodworking today. It is thin and has no interesting projects for me.

Popular Woodworking was just sold to Active Interest Media, the parent company of Woodsmith at a bankruptcy auction.

Bob Lang

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lang View Post
    Popular Woodworking was just sold to Active Interest Media, the parent company of Woodsmith at a bankruptcy auction.

Bob Lang
    I will be interested to see what they do with it.

Blog Entries
    Bob,
    If you started writing articles again it would help.

Thanks for the kind words.

Bob Lang