Thread: Mobile Multifunction Table and Cart

Mobile Multifunction Table and Cart

I normally like to design and build my own shop tables and carts. However, I found a design online that just looked so well done that I couldn't resist buying a set of plans. The plans came from Benchworks in Belgium ( I have no affiliation with them) and were very inexpensive and well done. It really fit my needs since I've been using Tanos Systainers more in organizing my tools.

The pdf and Sketchup models were excellent and the project was a real fun build. I have come to see the value of an MFT type of table for many uses and wanted to make a smaller portable version that I can bring through doorways and roll around for some remodeling projects. This cart will be very handy for those tasks. The top has a square grid array of 20mm holes on 96mm centers for clamps and dogs.

The dimensions were in mm but the cut lists were sized to imperial sheet good sizes. The build was surprisingly easy and went together well. I did make a few minor modifications such as a 3/4" thick top since the designer was originally trying to minimize weight for portability which wasn't a big driver for my case.

IMG_3817ec.jpg

IMG_3820ec.jpg

IMG_3823ec.jpg

IMG_3825ec.jpg

IMG_3790e.jpg

What I really liked was the carefully thought out design that allows material to be clamped to the top as well as all of the sides. The domino mortises serve as clamping mortises as well as material supports by simply placing a few lose tenons in them. Round holes and dowels can just as easily be used instead of the domino mortises if desired.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 06-04-2019 at 11:07 AM.
    Dick Mahany.

Interesting idea. Thanks for posting Dick!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Nice set up. Is the grey and blue cabinet for the systainers something you bought or built?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Zucker View Post
    Nice set up. Is the grey and blue cabinet for the systainers something you bought or built?
    The blue and gray cabinet was built from 1/2" plywood per the Benchworks plans. I used push to open slides for the shelves which keep the systainers from sliding out when tilted to roll.
    Dick Mahany.

Great setup, Dick.

Looks perfect for your new smaller shop.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I wanted to add a few details that were omitted in the original post. The lower tool shelf stores between the cabinet and the folded top (not shown in the original photos). The shelf really adds to the rigidity of the MFTC when in use as it locates on pairs of tenons on the cabinet back and the outside legs. Also, there is a lot going on in the relatively tight space for the folded top. The Benchworks designer really did an excellent job with designing this cart.

Shelf in the stored position. (The holes allow jigsaw blades and router bits to protrude through the shelf when storing tools underneath)
    MFTC 6.jpg

Legs being folded.
    MFTC 7.jpg

View of the folded table frame showing where the guide rails and lower shelf reside (before top was installed)
    MFTC 8.jpg
    Dick Mahany.

Hi Dick, I also purchased a plan from Tomothy Wilmots, in my case a plan for his MFSC (Multi Function Shop Cart).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWEdrBdbBhg

His designs are very good and the plans are excellent.............Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Dick, I also purchased a plan from Tomothy Wilmots, in my case a plan for his MFSC (Multi Function Shop Cart).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWEdrBdbBhg

His designs are very good and the plans are excellent.............Regards, Rod.
    Timothy Wilmots MFSC looks great. If I had room in my shop, I'd enjoy building one. He really is a clever, talented guy and his videography is top notch, but I have a difficult time watching his videos because his shop makes me drool and short out my keyboard. Would enjoy seeing photos when you complete yours, good luck.
    Dick Mahany.