Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carpentry Way- Sad news

Carpentry Way- Sad news

Hello all,

I've followed Chris Hall's blog "The Carpentry Way" for many years and have long been inspired by his talent, design sense and energy. Sadly, he has shared that he has cancer.

https://thecarpentryway.blog/2019/06/white-to-black/

My very best to him and his family
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Hello all,

I've followed Chris Hall's blog "The Carpentry Way" for many years and have long been inspired by his talent, design sense and energy. Sadly, he has shared that he has cancer.

https://thecarpentryway.blog/2019/06/white-to-black/

My very best to him and his family
    Chris,

Thanks for sharing. Like you I've read his blog for a long time. After reading his very brave post I have been trying to organize my thoughts without success. My heart goes out to Chris and his family.

ken

It very sad news especially after he put up such a battle. I’m not familiar with his woodworking blogs but can relate to how hard he been fighting.
    My heart also goes to Chris and his family.
    Aj

Blog Entries
    Chris is a good friend, incredibly talented designer and craftsman and all around good person. I'm hoping for some improvement.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I read alot of Chris's blog after seeing his name in one of Brians posts.
    I saw immediately why he was so well thought of in the wood working field. Having the drive to excel at his level, let alone the ability, and his never ending energy level, in sharing and expressing his work, and ideas, so others could benefit is a wonderful thing.
    One can only hope that Chris finds some peace and comfort in himself, and his family, as he struggles with this unfortunate turn of events.

Brian,

Do you know if there is a way for folks on SMC to provide tangible help to Chris and his family? I'd be happy to buy copies of his ebooks unless that would just generate headaches on his end.

Best,
    Chris
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    I think the essays are a good way to contribute.

This is sad news indeed. I've followed his work and blog for many years now and he truly has been at the very top of my list of inspirational woodworkers. Even if he was a great woodworker and a bad writer he'd still have been at the top, but he has incredible skill in both wood and word!

Selfishly I now regret never taking any classes with him.

I'm really hoping for a positive change in his situation!

Brian, if you have any correspondence with Chris and there's anything we can do please let us know.

Blog Entries
    Thank you Jeff, I certainly will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I think the essays are a good way to contribute.
    I agree with Brian, it'd be great if people wanted to support him by purchasing his works. He stated if he's unable to win this battle his wife will be keeping his blog up and running and the material will continue to be available for purchase.

Hopefully, there is a fortunate turn of events.

Hello all. It is with a heavy heart that I pass on news of Chris Hall's passing.

https://thecarpentryway.blog/2020/04...k-post-script/

My thoughts go to his wife, son and family.
    Last edited by Christopher Charles; 04-09-2020 at 3:59 PM.
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Hello all. It is with a heavy heart that I pass on news of Chris Hall's passing.

https://thecarpentryway.blog/2020/04...k-post-script/

My thought go to his wife, son and family.
    Thanks Chris,

Too many good people are leaving us, tough times.

ken

I have to echo Ken. The post that Cristopher linked to is very moving. Can't imagine a craftsman better than Brian to make a memorial piece.

I left my condolences for Ilana on the blog. I would like to say to Brian that my thoughts are with you as well. I know what a close friend and mentor Chris was for you.

Warm regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Thank you, Chris was a great friend and wonderful mentor. He will be sorely missed.

Chris had a wonderful sense of humor, and worked to stay in good spirits often in spite of his circumstance. I was amazed at his strength of will, when I visited last summer he was still making efforts to work. Up early, he would prepare for a day in the shop, drive 1/2 hour and work until exhaustion (which was around noon) then drive back. He did this until completing the cabinet he was working on. The piece he was making at the time must have must have seemed an insurmountable task but still he continued forward.

Chris’ work was a challenge of perseverance for a healthy person, it must have been like climbing sheer granite cliff face in his condition, still he managed and did work of the highest quality in precious wood.

Never one to give up, given his new set of circumstances he decided to build a workshop in his basement with aims to begin making tools, hence the reason for his milling machine purchase. He was a quick study, having an impressive knowledge base on milling machines in short order and he began applying the same thought process to lathes as well. Ultimately he decided to outfit the shop for his son, should he chose to take up interest in it in some years.

Chris was also very practiced in Ju Jitsu, having taken his training to an exceptionally high level.