Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36

Thread: Bluetooth earmuffs

  1. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    I can't hear my wife calling me if I'm wearing them.
    Just ordered them.

  2. #17
    I have two pairs of the "Work Tunes," neither of which is blue tooth When in the shop, i use a FM transmitter from Walmart to stream you tube, CD's, or music from Direct TV. One of the best investments for head phones is HF rechargable NiMH batteries. Always keep a fresh pair on the ready for both head phones and transmitter.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Huntington, Vermont
    Posts
    882
    I worry about the disconnection from the shop environment that I associate with music headphones.I have not used them but have worked around a couple of people who do. It seemed to me that it was harder to get their attention than when they were without the apparatus. I rely on my hearing, diminished though it is, to alert me to things needing attention, changes in machinery sounds for instance. Do any of you users feel that your aural awareness is affected?

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    48,754
    Kevin, in some situations, I believe what you ask about can be true. OTOH, it also depends upon the person. Many folks automatically put the music in the background while they focus on work...I'm like that. I'm "hearing music" but I'm not concentrating on the tune, if you understand what I mean. It's a pleasant additional way of knocking down the high sound levels from my J/P or the CNC machine when it's cutting wood with something other than a very small cutter. Even when I'm not wearing the 3M Worktunes, I have the same music on quite loud in my shop as it is! That said, there are some days when I work with no music for a bit...it depends on my mood.
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Kevin, in some situations, I believe what you ask about can be true. OTOH, it also depends upon the person. Many folks automatically put the music in the background while they focus on work...I'm like that. I'm "hearing music" but I'm not concentrating on the tune, if you understand what I mean. It's a pleasant additional way of knocking down the high sound levels from my J/P or the CNC machine when it's cutting wood with something other than a very small cutter. Even when I'm not wearing the 3M Worktunes, I have the same music on quite loud in my shop as it is! That said, there are some days when I work with no music for a bit...it depends on my mood.
    I hear some that listen to podcasts while working, which is quite different from music in the background.

    I'm not sure that I could do that, but after 40 years of marriage I like to think that I can tune out anything.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    5
    I use a pair of Soupdpeats wireless earbuds that work wonderfully. I can hear if my phone rings, they have great sound, they don't make me hot like earmuffs, they are cheap, and while they don't eliminate all of the exterior sound (nor do I want them to) they provide a great level of protection. The only issue I've ever had with them is when I am chewing gum, they slowly work their way loose.

    https://www.amazon.com/SoundPEATS-Bl...s%2C182&sr=8-3

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toronto Ontario
    Posts
    9,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Gaskin View Post
    We have several pair of 3m work tunes in the shop. They work well.
    I also own a pair and use them in the shop and when using the snow blower......Rod

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    48,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Schoenthal View Post
    I hear some that listen to podcasts while working, which is quite different from music in the background.

    I'm not sure that I could do that, but after 40 years of marriage I like to think that I can tune out anything.
    I couldn't do that for sure. I have to pause my work a little in the mid-afternoon when Live at the World Café has an interesting interview of some musician I like because I can't focus on the spoken word and to critical work with my hands at the same time. "Just music", however, isn't distracting for me.

    I don't do pod-casts or audio books...that's Professor Dr. SWMBO's passion. But she has an hour and a half choo-choo commute each way on the days she has to go into the city to teach or for meetings/office hours.
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toronto Ontario
    Posts
    9,374
    Hi, I find the reduction in background noise reduces my fatigue level and allows me hear important sounds more easily.

    That’s why I wear earplugs when riding as well ......Rod

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NE Connecticut
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    I worry about the disconnection from the shop environment that I associate with music headphones.I have not used them but have worked around a couple of people who do. It seemed to me that it was harder to get their attention than when they were without the apparatus. I rely on my hearing, diminished though it is, to alert me to things needing attention, changes in machinery sounds for instance. Do any of you users feel that your aural awareness is affected?
    I like to hear my tools and minimize distractions in the shop, too. I only use my Worktunes when sanding or doing something else that is monotonous and has a very low risk of injury. I never wear them when cutting, routing, planing, etc. For those tasks I wear regular hearing protection.

    One thing that is nice about bluetooth headphones is that my phone rings through the headphones (and I get text/email alerts), so I don't miss calls.


  11. #26
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Trinidad, West Indies
    Posts
    397
    I have gone through about 5 pairs of work tunes over the last few years. The current model no longer has replaceable pads for around your ears. Trying out the Howard leight fm/mp3 earmuffs now. A bluetooth model is available.

    MK

  12. #27
    I've never run into any hearing protection/ headphone that will mute the sound of any shop machine. Sometimes I wonder of I'm experiencing that bone hearing phenomenon and if it's still bad for the ears.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    48,754
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Sometimes I wonder of I'm experiencing that bone hearing phenomenon and if it's still bad for the ears.
    I kinda believe this is probably accurate, at least for some frequencies.
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Evanston, IL
    Posts
    1,231
    I use the Worktunes with bluetooth and like most things about them. I usually wear them only for long sanding or planing sessions. They alert you to incoming phone calls only when you are listening via the bluetooth feature. If you are listening to the radio they do not alert you to a call.

  15. I've been using Isotunes pro for over a year and I'm very happy. Effective with even the loudest shaper cutters. Bluetooth avoids cords and they are small enough to fit in your pocket. Also do well on phone calls

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •