Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth earmuffs

Bluetooth earmuffs

Hi, guys!

Looking for opinions here.

I had a gift card to Lowes, even though I dislike the store I bought their Bluetooth earmuffs for like $79.

Put them on and was immediately disappointed. Not comfortable and the Bluetooth setting was way too quite. Will be returning tomorrow...

Willing to pay the extra $25 for the Bluetooth feature. Anyone got some suggestions on good ones?

I paid attention to this list of muffs: https://homecarechoices.org/bluetoot...ng-protection/. And also noticed this option: https://youtu.be/XVA8NJXZYcI.

So what would you say? Personal experience: likes, dislikes, waiting vs. reality?

I'll be glad to read all your stories and suggestions.

Thank you!

Martin,

I unfortunately do not have any recommendations to offer, but i am also interested in upgrading my hearing protection with a bluetooth set. I currently use the 3M/Peltor red and black cheapies that were like $15.

I bought a set of these MPOW ($49) about a year ago, they have decent volume and clear audio.

I have a pair of Sony MDR-10RBT, which cost 5 times the amount of the MPOW, but the MPOW out perform them in noisy areas.

The MPOW also have active noise cancelling which you can turn on or off and you can hear the noise cancelling difference as soon as you turn it on.

I'm very pleased with the MPOW, thy last all day on a charge while I bluetooth audio from my iPhone, which I leave plugged into a charger while in the garage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have wireless bluetooth earbuds that I wear inside regular earmuffs - works great!

I also have a pair of MPOW blue tooth head phones. They are good at reducing general shop noise; Table saw. DC, shop vac, but lacking in really loud noise protection like aggressive cutting on my cnc router, my PC7518 table router, or my leaf blower. For those things I wear my 3M Pelter X5 ear muffs with 31 dB reduction.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

We have several pair of 3m work tunes in the shop. They work well.

We issued the 3M Work Tunes at work. They work well enough, but no one is going to mistake them for audiophile level equipment. I like that they also have AM/FM built in.

I use the 3M WorkTunes headphones with the Bluetooth feature...they get a lot of use in the shop when I'm running my CNC and J/P and also when I'm out mowing on my ZTR. I'm very happy with them for the most part. I'd prefer better bass response, but I've found that almost all of these things underperform in that respect. I even sent back a set of IsoTunes for that reason...I found the sound to be pretty horrible and tinny.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Martin, I use Sony MDR-10RBT over-the-ear headphones. They work well for me. One thing that's important to look for is a unit that will receive two signals at the same time. That way, I can listen to the source : music, radio or TV and I will hear my phone ring and answer it through the headphones (if I can get the dust mask off fast enough).

I also use the 3M WorkTunes, both in the shop and while on the lawn tractor. They pair easily and I find them to be comfortable to wear for long periods. Agree that they're not audiophile, but they are acceptable and for $50 bucks on Amazon, quite reasonable.

I worry about active noise cancellation, because it just tricks your ear into not "hearing" the sound by mirroring the sound wave of the disturbance, correct? Atleast, that is my ignorant and probably incorrect understanding of the technology. I guess what im getting at is active noise cancellation doesnt protect your body from harmful exposure to high decibel ratings. What i currently wear is rated to 32-34 dB reduction. I notice the wortktunes are only 24dB. Is this significant from a longterm perspective?

I guess I've got a little different take on hearing protection. Having done many stupid things in my youth (not worn protection in the shop and while shooting, rock concerts that were too loud, being in a jazz band in front of the lead trumpet, etc.), I've developed tinnitus. I don't want to have everything muted when wearing headphones, so I bought several of the HF electronic ear muffs ($15) to keep around the shop. They kick in on anything over 85 db and are rated at 24 db reduction. However, they amplify ​surrounding sounds under normal conditions. Most of the time I have a radio on in the shop and when I'm operating a machine, I don't want to be distracted by listening to something. For extended sanding periods, I'll put earbuds under the headphones.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    I worry about active noise cancellation, because it just tricks your ear into not "hearing" the sound by mirroring the sound wave of the disturbance, correct? Atleast, that is my ignorant and probably incorrect understanding of the technology. I guess what im getting at is active noise cancellation doesnt protect your body from harmful exposure to high decibel ratings. What i currently wear is rated to 32-34 dB reduction. I notice the wortktunes are only 24dB. Is this significant from a longterm perspective?
    From reading a few articles on the Internet, there is nothing I've read that the cancellation of the noise causes any bad effect, the noise cancelling creates a 180 degree frequency reverse noise, that cancels out the original noise before it gets to your ears.

My two sets of noise cancelling headphones also do not block out all the sound, you'll just hear lower levels of that sound. So I can still hear my tablesaw cutting or other tools when in use.

So if I rate my table saw as a 10 in volume level, with my headphones it's probably a 5 without noise cancelling and with the noise cancelling active it drops to a 3.
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 06-04-2019 at 1:35 PM.

I tried several sets of Bluetooth headphones and none were great. What works for me is wireless ear buds— LG ones that Best Buy sells — plus good ear muffs over the top of them
    Bob C

+1 for the 3M Worktunes. I think they sound very good for $50, the battery lasts a long time, and they really do reduce outside noise quite well. My only two problems are: 1) my son keeps stealing them to mow the lawn, and 2) I can't hear my wife calling me if I'm wearing them (may not actually be a problem. YMMV).