Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Assembly table with MFT top?

Blog Entries
    Personally, I’d go for a torsion box with a mft hole system on a scissor lift.

That is an excellent setup, Mike! It certainly connects all the dots for me as I'm a huge believer in adjustable height work surfaces.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Oh lord, I didn’t need to see that...

Wonder if you could mount it on Zambus casters?

Blog Entries
    You could build it on a scissor lift cart. Or just by the Barth.

https://rangate.com/products/barth-lift-table-300

My experience is similiar to Dick Mahany's. Add to that - cutting boards square which are too wide to do easily on the table saw.

Jon,

I will be redoing my assembly table soon. I've considered MFT vs T tracks and I've decided to go with T tracks along with holes that will accept Festool quick clamps.

In my view there are advantages to both. With MFT the big one is defined distances which makes setting up stops, etc much simpler.

I would be concerned that you can get a clamp in a two layered top.

Mike Farrington channel on YouTube has a video of setting up an assembly table using the Parf system. I believe that's what is pictured above.

I don't use BLO on MDF anymore. I prefer a poly/mineral spirit +/-turpentine mix.

IMG_0546.jpg

This was much cheaper than the Barth table. Not finished here but I ended up with MFT holes on half the table. Torsion box with MDF and 3/4 HDF on top. Laminate on top of that. Glue doesn't stick to it. Quick clamps work great.

This is pretty sturdy but not really a neanderthal bench.

IMG_0545.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Jon,

I will be redoing my assembly table soon. I've considered MFT vs T tracks and I've decided to go with T tracks along with holes that will accept Festool quick clamps.

In my view there are advantages to both. With MFT the big one is defined distances which makes setting up stops, etc much simpler.

I would be concerned that you can get a clamp in a two layered top.

Mike Farrington channel on YouTube has a video of setting up an assembly table using the Parf system. I believe that's what is pictured above.

I don't use BLO on MDF anymore. I prefer a poly/mineral spirit +/-turpentine mix.
    thanks Robert. Since you’re going w Festool clamps, your top will be 3/4”?

what is the polyurethane / mineral spirit/ turp recipe? I’ve used one called boat soup for gunwales, etc which is 1:1:1 linseed oil, turp and marine varnish. Takes forever to dry unless you add some Japan drier. Add a dash of pine tar and it smells great.

Marty, I really like how you used the laminate on your solution...I may need to ponder that myself for my potential bench-top replacement.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    I have an outfeed table made from 4 sheets of MDF edged with 2x4 fir. I glued 3 sheets together and left the top sheet floating inside the fir frame so it could be replaced as it got beat up. I coated the whole thing with polyurethane. It's seen heavy use for about 8 years now. Still as good as new. It has a holes for holdfasts and a face vise on it. It's been incredibly durable. I think, in general, if you coat the MDF for fluid seal, and protect the edges/corners, it'll last a very very long time.

Love the TW multifunctional shop cart.
    Thanks Tom.

Since the Parf Mk2 is now back in stock it’s time to fish or cut bait. It seems the choice of top comes down to holes for clamping vs. use with track saw. The way I’m understanding it, if you want to include the Festool clamps it needs to be a single layer 3/4” thickness.

If if I just want dog holes for clamping (where the Parf or a MFT type top isn’t really necessary), do the hold fasts fit in double layers (or thicker) tops?

Quote Originally Posted by marty fretheim View Post
    IMG_0546.jpg

This was much cheaper than the Barth table. Not finished here but I ended up with MFT holes on half the table. Torsion box with MDF and 3/4 HDF on top. Laminate on top of that. Glue doesn't stick to it. Quick clamps work great.

This is pretty sturdy but not really a neanderthal bench.

IMG_0545.jpg
    Marty, I’m reading this that your box material is MDF and you have a single layer (plus laminate) of HDF, and your quick clamps are Festool. Correct?

Where did you find 3/4 HDF? Having no luck here locally, only thinner hardboard.

Just discovered your question, Jon. Yes to your questions and the HDF (as well as the MDF) came from Paxton lumber in Denver. Not cheap and likely overkill with the laminate. The laminate was an after thought or I would have just used MDF all around. I ordered the laminate from Home Depot.