I have a British made Record 778 that I have worked over, and also have seen references to British made Stanley planes. I have also seen unfavorable comments about the British made planes.

My Record is perhaps 1960s or 70s vintage, I think but do not know. It is dark blue and I think the newer ones are light blue.

My 778 had some surface rust and was missing one of the fence rods. I cleaned it up, came up with a rod to replace the missing rod, sharpened the iron, and then had to work on the lever cap. The lever cap did not fit down against the top of the iron at all well, and had a blunt face instead of one that would lift the curl well. Thus I had to work on it so the lever cap would fit tightly against the iron. I also had to use a file to have a fairly sharp edge, rather than a blunt face, so the lever cap would lift the curl rather than smash into it.

The question is, what has your experience been with planes, especially Stanley...since that is what I mostly have seen....perhaps those made in the 1960s(?) or later, that are made in England? Are they pretty good, or not so good?

Thanks and regards,

Stew