Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Harlequin side table

Thanks for the reply Derek. I have many concerns about legs. I'm one of those that would most likely add a few lag screws and epoxy the whole thing and maybe more . Carry on looking good so far.
    Jim

Hi Jim

I don’t trust mechanical fasteners.

The plan I have had all along is the create a wedged through tenon into the case using a loose tenon. This will need to be done before starting on the drawers (for access). The wedging should prevent the tenon from being pulled out. The legs are secured by pinned mortices into the case. The legs are 1-3/4” to 2” diameter (not exactly sure yet) at the top, so can be morticed 1-1/4” deep. If the tenon is 75mm long, which is wide enough to prevent any twisting, it will be pinned in two places for rigidity.

Your thoughts?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Jim

I don’t trust mechanical fasteners.

The plan I have had all along is the create a wedged through tenon into the case using a loose tenon. This will need to be done before starting on the drawers (for access). The wedging should prevent the tenon from being pulled out. The legs are secured by pinned mortices into the case. The legs are 1-3/4” to 2” diameter (not exactly sure yet) at the top, so can be morticed 1-1/4” deep. If the tenon is 75mm long, which is wide enough to prevent any twisting, it will be pinned in two places for rigidity.

Your thoughts?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    A whole different perspective after your explainations. The wedged through tenon and the leg pinned to the tenon makes a huge difference than a loose tenon. That is much better IMO. I'm not a big user of mechanical fasteners either. They have their place at times.
    Jim