Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mach3 Help?

Mach3 Help?

What's up Creeker's? Long time no see.

I am working on the finishing touches on my DIY CNC machine. However, I am having some bugs in the software that I cannot figure out. As you can see in the attached screenshot of Mach3, I have a gcode file that I created with Fusion 360. I did the modeling in SAE units, but the post processes apparently default to Metric. It seems that Mach3 cannot detect that the gcode is metric even though there is a G21 code in there. When I start the machine, the spindle drops 6 inches and tries to go to X-216.812 Y35.293 in SAE units. Can someone tell me what is going on here?
    mach 3 screenshot.jpg

The screenshot shows “No file loaded” and no code in the Mach3 window. You may have just double clicked on the code file and it opened in notepad, not mach3. In Mach3, go to file>load gcode. Also, the top boarder does show “g21” so Mach is in that mode. In Fusion 360 there are separate post processors “mach3 inch” and “mach3 mm” in the name (also arcs/no arcs versions). You can design in one set of units and post process in another (computers are pretty good at math and conversion).
    Colorado Woodworkers Guild
    Colorado CNC User Group

For that photo I clicked on the Edit Gcode button so that you could see more of the file.

Hi Eric,
    Did you solve your problem and get it up and running? I have a diy cnc that runs GRBL on an Arduino. I am just finishing a larger cnc from CNC Router Parts that runs from Mach3 - so I am just in the process of configuring the computer and learning about Mach3.
    David

20181025_235526.jpg20181025_235555.jpg20190615_234049.jpg 20190615_234057.jpg 20190615_234138.jpg 20190615_234214.jpg 20190615_234232.jpg

If you purchased the Plug & Play controller and motors they have downloads with the setup configuration already done for you. Very impressed with that build quality.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I still cant believe that with all the innovative and good stuff that CNCRP does they are still selling a controller that hasn't been upgraded in over a decade. Its 2019 kids. 2005 called and wants its technology back.

I now there is a popular following that has "hung on" to Mach, but the reality is what other piece of technology from a decade ago would you put up with when compared with todays? A cell phone? Computer? Automotive infotainment? TV? Think about it. There has been at least as much, if not more, development in CNC controllers in the last decade than in the others I mention. Maybe more
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Mine has been upgraded to Mach4 and it has the Warp9 ESS controller, works fine on my Windows 7 Pro system. No crashes no issues, but yes it would be nice to have it come with Acorn or WinCNC option.

I'm still running Windows XP on several of my shop computers, so I guess I am way behind the times. I'm also still running Mastercam version 9.1 for the cnc machining and turning centers. Mastercam 9.1 will not run on anything newer than XP, or I would probably upgrade to Windows 7 for these. Yes - my new CNC Router Parts machine did come with the Warp9 ESS as well.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    I'm still running Windows XP on several of my shop computers, so I guess I am way behind the times. I'm also still running Mastercam version 9.1 for the cnc machining and turning centers. Mastercam 9.1 will not run on anything newer than XP, or I would probably upgrade to Windows 7 for these. Yes - my new CNC Router Parts machine did come with the Warp9 ESS as well.
    David
    I upgraded the Mach3 to Mach4 and it made it much better, M4 was somewhat based on Mach3 and it was a vast improvement, no issues running the machine. There were a lot of changes needed to make in the settings and since this was first upgrade for me it took while. CNCRP will officially start supporting Mach4 soon if not already?
    Last edited by Bill George; 06-19-2019 at 8:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    I still cant believe that with all the innovative and good stuff that CNCRP does they are still selling a controller that hasn't been upgraded in over a decade. Its 2019 kids. 2005 called and wants its technology back.

I now there is a popular following that has "hung on" to Mach, but the reality is what other piece of technology from a decade ago would you put up with when compared with todays? A cell phone? Computer? Automotive infotainment? TV? Think about it. There has been at least as much, if not more, development in CNC controllers in the last decade than in the others I mention. Maybe more
    You can have my Mach3 when you pry it from my cold dead hands. We are a cult and no we are not planning on drinking any grape juice anytime soon.

Whats surprising, despite the more modern up to date controllers the Mach3/4 platform has a 66% market share among hobby users and a small number of commercial users.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Reischl View Post
    You can have my Mach3 when you pry it from my cold dead hands. We are a cult and no we are not planning on drinking any grape juice anytime soon.
    Ted - Very Well Said!! I think that there are just too many "Experts" out there who think they know better.
    David

How many of that 66% are hacked (unlicensed) versions of Mach3 distributed by the Chinese?

"Mach Donalds" sells more burgers than anyone out there. Doesn't make them good, just makes them cheap and popular. No one says they have the best burger, just handy and cheap. Having used at least 6 controllers over the last 14 years, I can easily say that Mach is no where near the better performers. Please understand that my opinion comes from actual use of the products, including side by side comparisons with identical files. It's actually required when making a comparison.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

This is from a Survey on CNC Cookbox website, 500 responses and updated for 2018. Gary does this as a professional and I would trust his opinion, IF I was building a new machine I would go with the Acorn controller... today. But since mine was new 5/2018 and running Mach3 from a good USA built machine I just upgraded to Mach4, and I have no issues. No its not on a parallel port, Warp9 ESS ethernet.

img_59bc16fd16766.png

img_59bc1646ade30.png
    Last edited by Bill George; 06-20-2019 at 8:33 AM.

Interesting that neither of those charts seems to mention WinCNC, Bill...weird.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...