Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need New Compressor Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I replaced the tank drain on mine with a street elbow into PEX then about 16" of pex to an auto drain valve. I ran some old rubber air hose from the drain to outside the shop to reduce noise on blowoff.
    Bil lD
    I like that idea!!
    Thank you.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    I like that idea!!
    Thank you.
    I should have put a ball valve ahead of the automatic one in case it needs any repair. I did have to take it apart and clean out some goo once.

I'm kinda thinking going from output adapter, to ball valve, to filter/regulator, to output connector...seems like a lot to be hanging out there. Can I somehow hang it off the large motor mount bracket? Does anyone do that?

Not trying to promote one brand over another but after going over the reviews and all I wound up getting a Quincy Model # 2V41C60VC air-compressor from Lowe's. Yes it cost more, but it will be a good air-compressor that should last me the rest of my life and be capable of operating a DA-sander. I think it was $1100 and took about 10 days to come in. The web-site say $1500, Northern runs them for cheaper than that, I was prepared to make them do a price match and it rang up $70 less than Northern. Maybe Lowe's or Quincy was running a special last month or something, I don't know, but I did not pay $1500.

Quote Originally Posted by Jak Kelly View Post
    Not trying to promote one brand over another but after going over the reviews and all I wound up getting a Quincy Model # 2V41C60VC air-compressor from Lowe's. Yes it cost more, but it will be a good air-compressor that should last me the rest of my life and be capable of operating a DA-sander. I think it was $1100 and took about 10 days to come in. The web-site say $1500, Northern runs them for cheaper than that, I was prepared to make them do a price match and it rang up $70 less than Northern. Maybe Lowe's or Quincy was running a special last month or something, I don't know, but I did not pay $1500.
    Ya...there's no way even $1100 fits my retirement budget. The Kobalt is the best bang, for its low buck price. That decision has been made, so now its back to, how do I hook this thing up...

OK...here's what I'm thinking...I'll install a plate on the end of the U shaped motor mount to serve as a platform for the parts of the install. 3/4 street elbow off the output heading to the left. Then the ball valve to an elbow heading up, then another elbow going right, then a reducer to 3/8, then the filter/reg and finally the output. Now, does this sound doable? Am I reducing to 3/8 at an appropriate point...maybe reducer right off the ball valve? Would I be better off using hose, rather than the elbows and nipples to make the turn?
    Last edited by Derek Arita; 06-03-2019 at 3:57 PM.

That is somewhat similar to how I did mine. Mine already had a shut-off valve coming out of the air compressor, I think 3/4" going to a 1/2" bell reducer. I came out with a short nipple, added a T, the T is so I could run a straight 8" nipple going down and added another 1/2" ball valve (the leg going down is supposed to catch water as well, then I can occasionally drain that ball valve periodically or at least check it), then went up with 2 - 10" nipples, added another elbow with a 3/8" reducer in the end of it, 3/8" nipple, regulator, nipple, filter, then made my own manifold out of 3/8" T's, 3 of them, and went ahead and installed 3 female quick disconnects.
    If any of this helps.
    If you look up the model of the Quincy I gave you will see that they have an extension for the bottom drain port that is mounted to one of the 3 legs, so you do not have to get on your hands and knees and feel around up underneath it. Doesn't look to hard to make something similar either.
    Lowe's also sells a vibration dampening pad kit, like $15 or so.
    I think the majority of the quick disconnects, regulators and filters are 3/8" NPT.

I would mount the filters, regualtors, etc on the wall at eye level. Connect with a short length of rubber hose.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I would mount the filters, regualtors, etc on the wall at eye level. Connect with a short length of rubber hose.
    Bill D.
    I would not disagree with this logic at all. I however simply did not have the room, so I made my set-up loop back over the top of the air-compressor, if that was understood in my post.
    This may seem odd to some, or even problematic with the positioning of such being that high. But I am also a tall guy and am forced to maximize for space, even when it makes some things less convenient.

Jak, I'd love to see a pic if you can. Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Jak, I'd love to see a pic if you can. Thanks for the reply.
    Absolutely, unfortunately I don't think that I can post pictures here anymore. I was going to send you a private message but that feature has been blocked from me as well.
    I am not a paying member, sorry. If you want to send me an e-mail to jakson200369 at yahoo.com then I will gladly send you a picture(s) tonight via e-mail.
    Hopefully I don't get into trouble for doing that either........
    I used about a 2 foot piece of unistrut, a unistrut bracket and a 3/4" conduit clamp to secure the loop over the top back to the air-compressor. I bolted the unistrut to that top upside down "U" plate.

I recently went through this learning process also. I got the equivalent compressor from Dewalt. What a learning curve. Northern Tool has some good parts also. I added one of their drain plug extension kits. I also wanted to keep my compressor a bit portable. So I built a platform with castors. It is not much bigger than the compressors foot print, maybe 24x24. I also included what I call a "pony" wall on the platform. This is where I mounted the regulator, filter, etc. And I also mounted a simple garden hose reel to wrap the air line around.

Richard

I have used this brand of 2-ear clamps for 45 years, and never had one come loose. They come in a bunch of sizes. I don't know if this is the size you need-was just the first link that Google found.

You don't need to buy their special pliers. I have always just used end cutting nippers, that I always keep around for pulling nails. Just don't squeeze hard enough to cut the metal, of course.

I bought a Chinese assortment set, but they were so soft that I didn't trust them.

https://www.amazon.com/Oetiker-10100...JJB9AWAW7ZTGKS

You can get them off with a small nail set, and even reuse them. The small nailset will start in the little hole, and then drive it in so the taper opens the clamp.

What do you folks think about the braided steel hose, drain plug replacement kits? If not, what's a good alternative?

By the way...anyone on the fence about this compressor, it’s on sale right now for $499. Darn good price for this compressor.