Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Fixing a convex sole hand plane

I'm not sure what the problem is. I found that I was in a position to replicate Anuj's plane. It took five minutes to find the plane and less time to prepare the sole. The exercise did remind me how important flatness across the width is, which i reported.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    I'm not sure what the problem is. I found that I was in a position to replicate Anuj's plane. It took five minutes to find the plane and less time to prepare the sole. The exercise did remind me how important flatness across the width is, which i reported.
    Yes, it can be problematic if the sole is concave or convex over the width. Here is one of my planes that had that fate:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?132457

The plane is working great now.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    From what you're describing, I'd say you have a parts plane at best. Not worth bothering to flatten the sole…utter junk.
    I agree with Doug. Your plane is what some like to call banana shaped. In a big way. It can happen over time and use (or misuse?). The first No. 4 I purchased off Big Internet had this issue. Beautiful in every other way. Shame.

Edit: I see you say it's unused new old stock. I concede that the banana-ing occurred not from use but probably slipped through quality control at the factory. Strange.
    Last edited by Kurtis Johnson; 06-08-2019 at 10:18 AM.

… Also, there'd be a problem with grinding this down. Grinding down a plane this out of flat—and this is a significant hump, imo—at such a critical place as the toe/mouth would thin the metal at the mouth by the same amount and therefore would become fracture prone there.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McConnell View Post
    Anuj,
    The fact that you can detect a gap (under a straight edge I presume?) of .015", or ca. 1/64", at the toe and heel suggests to me that the sole of your plane is bowed enough to impact its performance. Especially in light of the fact that you encounter no such problems with a #4 & #5 on the same material. In fact, the improvement you describe when applying all pressure on the toe or the heel is consistent with this finding. Possibly this goes a long way toward explaining why an older plane such as this would show very little use. I suspect you're not the first potential user to be frustrated by its performance.
    Under the circumstances, suggesting that you "improve" your technique by accommodating this bowing is somewhat analogous to suggesting a person "learn to use" a saw which tends to track improperly because of uneven set, &c.
    Best advice, Don.