Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fixing a convex sole hand plane

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fixing a convex sole hand plane

Hello,

Long back I bought an old but Like New Stanley #3, from Supertools. It looks practically unused. Not a scratch on body or elsewhere.

Recently I sharpened it. Tried using it but could not get it to cut even depth. It takes full width shavings but thickness varies on even a jointed board. Have a #4 from Veritas and a #5 from WoodRiver. Both worked fine on same board. Tried applying all pressure in front and it worked better. Tried applying all pressure towards back and it worked better.

So I doubted that sole is not flat. I tried a straight edge on sole. Appears starting at mouth to right behind mouth, sole is proud by almost 1/8".

First thought was to try flattening using sandpaper on granite block. Then thought to put blocks of wood at ends and applying some pressure in middle by standing on it. Lastly thought to use a file to flatten the middle.

Before trying any of the intrusive approaches on otherwise beautiful plane, wanted to get suggestions on which approach to go with or know if there is any other approach.

I intend to use it as smoother or as a shooting plane.

- Anuj

Edit:

- On actually measuring it instead of relying on eyes - it's 1/32" out. Can slip .015" feeler gauge on both ends.
    Last edited by Anuj Prateek; 06-01-2019 at 4:32 AM.

An eighth? 0.125" out of flat just behind the mouth?

I think he’s talking about the gap measured at the end of the ruler, not an actual 1/8” hump which would be glaringly obvious without a square.

Yup. When I keep straight edge on the sole then there is ~1/8" gap on both ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Anuj Prateek View Post
    Hello,

Long back I bought an old but Like New Stanley #3, from Supertools. It looks practically unused. Not a scratch on body or elsewhere.

So I doubted that sole is not flat. I tried a straight edge on sole. Appears starting at mouth to right behind mouth, sole is proud by almost 1/8".
    What is this "Supertools" that you refer to?

From what you're describing, I'd say you have a parts plane at best. Not worth bothering to flatten the sole, if it's what you appear to be describing. Thirty years ago we used to see this sort of thing from Stanley in the hardware stores, they were complete and utter junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    From what you're describing, I'd say you have a parts plane at best. Not worth bothering to flatten the sole…utter junk.
    I agree with Doug. Your plane is what some like to call banana shaped. In a big way. It can happen over time and use (or misuse?). The first No. 4 I purchased off Big Internet had this issue. Beautiful in every other way. Shame.

Edit: I see you say it's unused new old stock. I concede that the banana-ing occurred not from use but probably slipped through quality control at the factory. Strange.
    Last edited by Kurtis Johnson; 06-08-2019 at 10:18 AM.

… Also, there'd be a problem with grinding this down. Grinding down a plane this out of flat—and this is a significant hump, imo—at such a critical place as the toe/mouth would thin the metal at the mouth by the same amount and therefore would become fracture prone there.

What is this "Supertools" that you refer to?
    From what you're describing, I'd say you have a parts plane at best. Not worth bothering to flatten the sole, if it's what you appear to be describing. Thirty years ago we used to see this sort of thing from Stanley in the hardware stores, they were complete and utter junk.
    Supertools is supertools.com. You get mail with old tools for sale. Then you order over email.

Back of my head I was worried there won't be a way to save it.

Supertools is supertools.com. You get mail with old tools for sale. Then you order over email.
    That appears to be a site that sells kayaking trips.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 06-01-2019 at 3:28 AM.

That appears to be a site that sells kayaking trips.
    Ahh! I added extra 's'.

This is the correct website http://supertool.com/

Ahh! I added extra 's'.

This is the correct website http://supertool.com/
    I highly doubt that Patrick Leach would sell you a tool that was so defective as described, unless there's something missing here. Talk to Patrick.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 06-01-2019 at 3:56 AM.

I highly doubt that Patrick Leach would sell you a tool that was so defective as described, unless there's something missing here. Talk to Patrick.
    Sorry, neither trolling nor trying to do anything to anyone reputation.
    I went and measured it with feeler gauge instead of relying on eyes.
    And yes, I am wrong. I can slip .015" feeler gauge on both ends. So its not 1/8" but 1/32".

Will drop him a mail.
    Last edited by Anuj Prateek; 06-01-2019 at 4:19 AM.

Sorry, neither trolling nor trying to do anything to anyone reputation.
    I went and measured it with feeler gauge instead of relying on eyes.
    And yes, I am wrong. I can slip .015" feeler gauge on both ends. So its not 1/8" but 1/32".

Will drop him a mail.
    Anuj; What ever you decide, try and avoid the extremely tight parameters of sole flatness that have fixated a USA engineer who frequently posts on the aussie forum site. There is a likely chance his employment background may include working for NASA.

Lie Nielsen says "The soles of our planes are machine ground flat and square to .0015" or better, regardless of length.". The WoodRiver plane was about 0.0002" or so out of flat at the start was thus about 7X flatter (?). A quick set of measurements of 4 LN's I have shows that they are all 0.0001" flat or better. Lapping should be reasonably doable.
    Here is the plane bottom examined though the comparator up against the 2L (2 micron lapped) standard.

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 06-01-2019 at 9:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Anuj; What ever you decide, try and avoid the extremely tight parameters of sole flatness that have fixated a USA engineer who frequently posts on the aussie forum site. There is a likely chance his employment background may include working for NASA.
    Hate to say that its similar line of thoughts that I go through and was getting fixated around.
    Not to mention trying to hit crazy number start taking the fun out of woodworking.
    Have decided not touch the planes sole. Will use it as is and will focus on how I use it.

I agree with Doug. He is a reputable vendor.

The fact that you bought the tool "long back" does complicate providing good customer service though. How long ago did you actually buy this tool?

Please follow up with us on what Patrick says.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”