Thread: Fixing a convex sole hand plane

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fixing a convex sole hand plane

Hello,

Long back I bought an old but Like New Stanley #3, from Supertools. It looks practically unused. Not a scratch on body or elsewhere.

Recently I sharpened it. Tried using it but could not get it to cut even depth. It takes full width shavings but thickness varies on even a jointed board. Have a #4 from Veritas and a #5 from WoodRiver. Both worked fine on same board. Tried applying all pressure in front and it worked better. Tried applying all pressure towards back and it worked better.

So I doubted that sole is not flat. I tried a straight edge on sole. Appears starting at mouth to right behind mouth, sole is proud by almost 1/8".

First thought was to try flattening using sandpaper on granite block. Then thought to put blocks of wood at ends and applying some pressure in middle by standing on it. Lastly thought to use a file to flatten the middle.

Before trying any of the intrusive approaches on otherwise beautiful plane, wanted to get suggestions on which approach to go with or know if there is any other approach.

I intend to use it as smoother or as a shooting plane.

- Anuj

Edit:

- On actually measuring it instead of relying on eyes - it's 1/32" out. Can slip .015" feeler gauge on both ends.
    Last edited by Anuj Prateek; 06-01-2019 at 4:32 AM.