Thread: Anyone ever used one of these "Planer gauges"

Anyone ever used one of these "Planer gauges"

I just bought a "planer gauge on the 'Bay'. It is a Lufkin #900. They are a machinist's tool ,not exactly sure what or how they were intended to be used. I plan to use it for setting projection of corrugated knives on my shaper when they project from the head . ( 3'' knife used in a 2'' head). I think it will also be very handy for setup in a planer ,or changing jointer knives. there are several locations with holes tapped where I plan to attach a dial indicator. Think real cheap rotocator or Oneway multigage. Anyways this is a idea for now ,when I get it we shall see. One machinist site said he uses it for a great doorstop, it is basically two opposing triangles that slide on each other and remain parallel on the top and bottom surfaces.

I have one sitting in my box. I used it primarily for setting a sine bar to do angle grinding on a surface grinder.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bruce do you think it will do what I listed above ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    I just bought a "planer gauge on the 'Bay'. It is a Lufkin #900. They are a machinist's tool ,not exactly sure what or how they were intended to be used. I plan to use it for setting projection of corrugated knives on my shaper when they project from the head . ( 3'' knife used in a 2'' head). I think it will also be very handy for setup in a planer ,or changing jointer knives. there are several locations with holes tapped where I plan to attach a dial indicator. Think real cheap rotocator or Oneway multigage. Anyways this is a idea for now ,when I get it we shall see. One machinist site said he uses it for a great doorstop, it is basically two opposing triangles that slide on each other and remain parallel on the top and bottom surfaces.
    Hi Mike,
    I have several of the Starrett planer gauges that are very similar to your Lufkin. This is a very useful tool for setup work and transferring height measurements. There are various attachments for these, and they can also very good for surface plate work with a dial indicator mounted. Here is a nice youtube video (11:48 into the video) explaining some of their many uses. In the photos, notice that the combination gauge has an additional fine adjustment knob for more precise adjustment. Some folks refer to this as a Master Combination Planer Gauge. I think that your new planer gauge will work well for setting your cutters and knives.
    David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvWcTC2m04A

Starrett Planer Gauges 1.jpg Starrett Planer Gauges 2.jpg Starrett Planer Gauges 3.jpg Planer Gauge.jpg Combination Gauge.jpg

David thanks for the reply,I checked out the you tube video you linked. Now I am excited to get this tool in my hands and see what else I can come up with for possible uses.

Note that a metal working planer is a very different machine so you have to use your imagination to use it for wood working. I suppose the closest wood working machine would be a gantry table with a router.
    Note also that a metal working shaper is very different and obsolete from the 1950's onwards.
    Bil lD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I have one sitting in my box. I used it primarily for setting a sine bar to do angle grinding on a surface grinder.
    Mike, as David noted, there are many applications that you could use the planer gauge for. It would work great for setting knives.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Hence the name: Starrett Universal Precision Gage - No. 995
    The second link below shows a metal shaper in action. Although you may not often find them in modern day "production shops", these machines are still very much in use by metalworking enthusiasts.

http://www.jwdonchin.com/Starrett/Catalog/HeightGages/995.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvwzmgmSnPA

Starrett Universal Precision Gage - No. 995.jpg Metal Shaper Demo.jpg
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 06-02-2019 at 2:19 AM.

Mike, for the thing you want to do I put a small ring in the shaper, install the head on the spindle with the knives loosely clamped at the proper corrugation and lower the head to where I want it and use the ring to set up the height. Spin the head to a specific spot and use this spot for all knives. I have a setup stand but this works better as I can use the spindle lock. When done pop the head off and put in the proper size ring, reinstall the head and there you go.

Larry,where were you a week ago ? Thanks for the explanation of how to do the corrugated knife set-up. I will use this gauge for a bunch of other things as well so it will not be money wasted.