Thread: Sanborn 22 Gal horz compressor

Sanborn 22 Gal horz compressor

I went to a estate sale with my wife just to get out of the house. I really wasnt looking for anything so I wonder around in the 4 car garage and wow found a older sanborn 22 gallon horz compressor. The plug was kinda wire nutted on the old cord and look like its been used for painting. I ask the guy running the estate sale if it worked and he said yea and it he also said it held pressure but the regulator didnt worked. So he plug it up and I flip the switch and it made a little racket because the cover for the pulleys was rubbing and I watch it build up pressure to about 80 and we turned it off. It was marked for 45 dollars but since the regulator was not working I got it for 30 dollars.

My wife and mom got a couple of things and we got it loaded with the help of the guy running the estate sale and got it home and had my son and daughter help me unload it and got it on the back porch.

I could not find a model number no where on it (sticker for model and s/n missing) so I did a little internet searching and found one just like it
    and it had a model number listed so I found the parts to fix the regulator and will order the parts friday or saturday plus replace the power cord and also put the pressure relief valve back on it since whoever took it off and made it to have a dual air hose coupler.

But to fix it plus what I paid for it will be less than 100 dollars and also it oil and it is pretty dang quite so it will be in my shop

And it still held at 80 psi after 2 hours

IMG_20190530_120456023.jpgIMG_20190530_120507880.jpgIMG_20190530_114113207.jpg

I would just buy a new regulator, probably cheaper then parts. I would inspect the intake filter and clean or replace it. Pull the relief valve and make sure it is not stuck closed. I would make sure the pressure switch shuts off. Drain and refill the oil.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I would just buy a new regulator, probably cheaper then parts. I would inspect the intake filter and clean or replace it. Pull the relief valve and make sure it is not stuck closed. I would make sure the pressure switch shuts off. Drain and refill the oil.
    Bil lD
    I would but the regulator is part of a manifold type setup where basically the pressure switch, safety valve and the coupling for the air hose plus a few other things are hook too. And the relief valve is missing. Looks like someone took it out and replace it with another coupling so I ordered that to.

Regulator kit 68000, 64000, 63000 part number.

Everything else seems to work and I am planning on changing the oil and the compressor belts and air filter since there are 2 of them. The electrical cord was cut and splice to make it longer so I am replacing that to with a new one.
    Last edited by marlin adams; 06-01-2019 at 6:26 PM.

I hope the Sanborn switch/pressure regulator/unloading valve is better quality than the one on the Campbell-Hausfeld I bought. What a flimsy 'value engineered' piece. I replaced it with a power switch/pressure switch and inline unloading valve from Grainger. MUCH better built and still in use today.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I hope the Sanborn switch/pressure regulator/unloading valve is better quality than the one on the Campbell-Hausfeld I bought. What a flimsy 'value engineered' piece. I replaced it with a power switch/pressure switch and inline unloading valve from Grainger. MUCH better built and still in use today.
    I did a little work for a friend who was just started in the auto repair business and he had a older sanborn 60 gallon with the same regulator setup and after 10 years it still kicking