Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Felder PCS - next gen saw stoppage?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    And you really do want a backup camera...best thing since sliced bread.
    And you really, really want a full-time rear view camera. Much better still - no blind spots.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I wonder besides not destroying the blade, is there even a cartridge that needs replacing after an event? If not, this would even be beyond the Bosch system that was pulled from he US market after their patent dispute with SawStop.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    And you really, really want a full-time rear view camera. Much better still - no blind spots.
    I actually have that with my Subaru Ascent Touring...the rear view mirror has a camera in the back and I use that full time instead of the "mirror" mirror, if you catch my drift. I much prefer the digital image. And when backing up, the regular backup camera is really good including laterally due to wide angle. Let's also say that when I backup to hook up my utility trailer, I put it "on the ball" first try every time. True no-blind spots requires a 360º camera system which is on some vehicles and coming on more down the road.

I don't think that table saws will have rear-view cameras anytime soon, however....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Davis Young View Post
    I wonder besides not destroying the blade, is there even a cartridge that needs replacing after an event? If not, this would even be beyond the Bosch system that was pulled from he US market after their patent dispute with SawStop.
    The literature says "No". You just press a button and you're back in business.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Davis Young View Post

Davis:

There is a good illustration of the system in the video. Based on what I saw, the answer to your question is no. Nothing gets damaged; nothing needs to be replaced and the "reset time" is measured in seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqV316iaBls

J.

Griggio had a similar product for a while before they went bankrupt or whatever. I believe they had used Sawstop's sensing technology. Nice to see that hope springs eternal.

Was just thinking that but the Unica Safe system Griggio had didn’t destroy the blade?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Ok. As most people know here, I'm a tremendous advocate for technology to allow you to keep your digits intact, after making a mistake on your tablesaw. And have put my money where my mouth is in buying two SawStops. And have a shop full of Felder machines. So serious loyalty to both brands. And I'm thrilled that another company is employing technology to make tablesaws safer.

That being said, $10K addition in cost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lets say a $200 Forrest blade and $80 SawStop cartridge gets destroyed by triggering it. Rinse, repeat 36 times, and the technologies are comparable in cost.

Has anyone in the World triggered a SawStop 36 times? If so, they have no business using a tablesaw.

Just sayin, who's gonna buy this?????
    I'd argue that if you need hotdog saving tech, you have no business using a tablesaw.

Personally I will never allow any SS type tech in my shop because if one tool of the 100 or so in there has it, all it does is dulls the senses and makes the rest of them more dangerous. Better to just assume they will all bite and treat them all with the same caution.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Erik, I think that your employer would do well to adopt and stock some "thoughtfully optioned" models to help with lead times from order to delivery which equals cash flow for them and commissions for you. Custom order is great for the folks who really need that, but I think in North America, availability could improve nicely that way, COVID or no COVID.

And you really do want a backup camera...best thing since sliced bread.
    Jim, we do stock popular models in Canada, I’m sure the same thing happens in the US.

In Canada our warehouse looks like a ghost town, can’t keep anything in stock....Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Was just thinking that but the Unica Safe system Griggio had didn’t destroy the blade?
    Peter, I think the challenge for those we might refer to as the "minor players" is the distribution network. That system might work but I still have no idea how someone would actually guy such a machine and if you would, the next challenge is service. You know all this, of course.

A well-know German slider manufacturer is apparently developing their own blade-stopping system. I have videos and still photos if it. It uses a laser, mounted on the overhead guard, to trigger the system. I have no idea how the blade stopping feature works but it's an entirely different triggering mechanism. But, I don't believe it's available yet or any time soon. My Austrian buddies said it was at LIGNA 2019, but a non-functional prototype. When/if, it sees the light of day, same deal as us: Your buy-in is going to start at about $50K.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

$50k would buy you an entry level beam saw 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    $50k would buy you an entry level beam saw 
    Sorry, Peter: NOPE
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

way less at any auction, big stuff takes the hardest hit. You still have loading and buyers premium, price is canadian dollars. I dont pay much attention to big stuff I dont need but enough to see it from time to time, here is a recent one. For those of you in the big leagues whats the new price on this?

LCapture.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 02-08-2021 at 8:00 PM.

Those big things are too pretty to get sawdust on...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...