Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Felder PCS - next gen saw stoppage?

So, that's something in between a sliding panel saw and a beam saw, yet neither. I've never seen one in a shop. Be curious to talk with someone who has hands-on experience and get their impressions.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

There’s actually been a couple other iterations of the same thing from Altendorf and Fimal / Paoloni. Seems like a pretty cool concept if someone can make it work financially. SCM seems pretty intent on this.

https://wtp.hoechsmann.com/en/lexiko...al_concept_350
    https://wtp.hoechsmann.com/en/lexikon/20344/2

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I'd argue that if you need hotdog saving tech, you have no business using a tablesaw.

Personally I will never allow any SS type tech in my shop because if one tool of the 100 or so in there has it, all it does is dulls the senses and makes the rest of them more dangerous. Better to just assume they will all bite and treat them all with the same caution.
    Whatever. That's an absolutely ridiculous line of reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    There’s actually been a couple other iterations of the same thing from Altendorf and Fimal / Paoloni. Seems like a pretty cool concept if someone can make it work financially. SCM seems pretty intent on this.
    My impression is that this machine might have appeal in Europe or Asia but not sure about the US. In my experience, shops who need a beam saw, need a BEAM SAW. I feel the same way about our through-feed CNC machining centers. Good for Europe, where shops have no space, but never really caught on here in the US.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Whatever. That's an absolutely ridiculous line of reasoning.
    Defend? Saw a guy hit his finger with a jig saw because the oscillator didn't bite him when he did it. His words as he was putting a bandaid on his luckily lightly wounded finger. Pretty stupid what risks the human mind gets used to if they cease to be a risk. Pretty soon I'm buying cartridges/blades and firing people because they became complacent on a SS, or worse sending someone to the ER because they were complacent on a non SS machine. Better to just not allow complacency. If you've been in the military you know that drill sergeants don't hone soldiers by allowing complacency or comfort zones. Same mindset when developing safe shop skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    way less at any auction, big stuff takes the hardest hit. You still have loading and buyers premium, price is canadian dollars. I dont pay much attention to big stuff I dont need but enough to see it from time to time, here is a recent one. For those of you in the big leagues whats the new price on this?

LAttachment 451677
    Certainly way north of $100k USD depending on what bells and whistles were included 18 years ago. Holzma / Homag are pretty well top of the pile with beam saws.

Certainly way north of $100k USD depending on what bells and whistles were included 18 years ago. Holzma / Homag are pretty well top of the pile with beam saws.
    Funny: We (US sales team) actually have Mayer beam saw training via zoom, from Austria, in a couple of weeks. I've been around plenty of beam saws and know know they operate but never actually gotten any formal sales training, so this will be interesting.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

All you'd need to do is provide better post-sale support than Stiles. Shouldn't take much.

All you'd need to do is provide better post-sale support than Stiles. Shouldn't take much.
    LOL, Peter. Seriously, though, Stiles is serving an entirely different customer than we are. Technically, we "should" be competing with them here in the US but so much of ours sales are to the standard/classical machine machine market that it reality, it doesn't really work out that way.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Just got back from Vegas. The Kappa 550 with PCS feature won "Challenger's Award". Spent a fair amount of time playing with it and this feature is awesome. In fact, somewhat disappointing in that nothing exciting happens when the blade gets triggered. I think everyone (myself included) was somehow expecting loud bangs or something like that and in reality, there is an audible thump but that's all. Then, you just reset the blade. The whole process takes around 10 seconds. I'll create a separate thread with a bunch of show pics but here is a quick one:

Erik

47F54CB2-D189-496A-8422-7AB7D068DDD5.jpg
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    nothing exciting happens when the blade gets triggered

Erik

47F54CB2-D189-496A-8422-7AB7D068DDD5.jpg
    Sounds good to me.