Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Router plane

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Buy the blades from LV and build your own.

Attachment 410634
    A great solution Larry.

Again, counting on the accuracy or purported accuracy of a tool, rather than lines you mark on the wood, is a machine-tool concept.
    Something learned many years ago, "trust but verify."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The only thing a tool has to do is remove wood to a mark. The accuracy is in the mark and the ability to stop when you get to the mark or just barely take it out.

Blog Entries
    We have tool stores in Houston. When I have a question like yours, I go to a store and pick them up in order to make up my mind.

I have thought I might like a router plane but have always found a work around, wide chisel to set hinges, just extend a shoulder plane blade etc. Never imagine making an accurate groove with one. It does not do that much for what they cost!
    Until the antique bargain comes along I doubt this will change.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Guest View Post
    The only thing a tool has to do is remove wood to a mark. The accuracy is in the mark and the ability to stop when you get to the mark or just barely take it out.
    Charles, while I agree with you that woodworking is essentially working to a line, the matter of a depth stop (to stop at a line) is quite a different matter.

Many of the tools we use have a depth stop built it as it is an aid in accuracy. One example is a plough plane. You cannot actually see the depth the blade is reaching when inside a groove. You can watch the rebate plane getting closer to its line, but a depth stop that bottoms out is desirable insurance, at least. The depth stop of a router plane is similar. Set the final depth and work to it. That make for quicker, and less stressful work. No one says that you rely on it alone.

Using a router plane like a butt mortice plane ...

To the OP: the depth stop on the Veritas and the LN router planes works identically.

Regards from Perth

Derek