Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router plane

Router plane

I’ve been looking on eBay lately for a large router plane but for the prices I’ve seen on there I might as well buy a premium brand for just a few more dollars. I’ve always liked buying older planes and restoring them better as long I’m don’t paying the same as high quality new. So my question is veratis or Lie Nielsen I like the look and depth stop better on the LN. The veratis comes with 2 blades straight and spear point two pieces with honing guide which is good positive since I free hand sharpen. I already have the veratis small router for hinge mortises. So the primary use would be dados,half laps,and bridal joints not perfect off my saw. So to me it’s a coin flip so I’d figured what y’all opinion are.

I sold an antique Stanley and just got a Veritas. I liked the LN but cutter availability was limited. First trials suggest I made the right choice.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I sold an antique Stanley and just got a Veritas. I liked the LN but cutter availability was limited. First trials suggest I made the right choice.
    Tony, one of the great benefits of being a contributor is the SawMill Creek Classifieds. Rob had a nice one that even tempted me into buying a second router plane.

That is a hard sell to SWMBO.

My suggestion is the Veritas for the same reasons as Rob. My Sargent #62(?) router plane is fine with a set of Veritas blades.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I was a day late to the ad here. Seems that’s always the case for me 😉

I have the large and small LV router. Both nice tools. I'm sure the LN is nice too, but as someone pointed out there are fewer blades.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I have the large and small LV router. Both nice tools. I'm sure the LN is nice too, but as someone pointed out there are fewer blades.
    I also have the small and large Veritas models. Excellent quality and with plenty of blade choices its a no brainer

Buy the blades from LV and build your own.

onmqcql.jpg

Blog Entries
    Another for the LV large. I've always been very happy with it. Both premium, just which one trips your trigger. Look at a few Utubes of them being used and decide. Can't go wrong with either.

I have the LV large and medium. Blades fit both and available in more sizes. Plus they have inlay cutters. I went with the LV because of this versatility. For what you describe as your use, you really don’t need the variety of blades...so as Don said, you can’t go wrong with either.

I have the large Veritas Router plane. I love it. I mainly got it for the variety of blades (and if I am going to be completely honest, free shipping) though turns out I don't use that many blades.

I was leaning toward the veratis. The only negative I seen was the depth stop attach to the threaded post. Has anyone had a problem with the depth stop screw damaging the post threads?

You shouldn't rely on a router plane's depth stop, gauge, or whatever, no matter how good it might be, you need to mark the board's edge with a very finely gauged line and work to it. Again, counting on the accuracy or purported accuracy of a tool, rather than lines you mark on the wood, is a machine-tool concept. Hand tool woodworking is all about making marks on the wood and removing wood to these marks with whatever tool is most convenient.

When this in mind, you can work with an amazingly abbreviated and relatively inexpensive kit of tools.
    Last edited by Charles Guest; 05-31-2019 at 10:53 AM.

I haven't had an issue with the depth stop screw. I don't really crank it that hard. If I remember too, the screw is brass and should be softer than the threaded rod.

I have the LN large and small RP's and they have been a joy to use. Certainly improved the accuracy of my work.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Guest View Post
    You shouldn't rely on a router plane's depth stop, gauge, or whatever, no matter how good it might be, you need to mark the board's edge with a very finely gauged line and work to it. Again, counting on the accuracy or purported accuracy of a tool, rather than lines you mark on the wood, is a machine-tool concept. Hand tool woodworking is all about making marks on the wood and removing wood to these marks with whatever tool is most convenient.

When this in mind, you can work with an amazingly abbreviated and relatively inexpensive kit of tools.
    I enjoy these "hey it dont have to be so hard or complicated" posts you've been making Chareles. I find them a useful sanity check. Thanks.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”