Thread: Finish Preference for 3D Work

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Finish Preference for 3D Work

I am finally setting up a proper business and have been working at some nice pieces for promotion. The size of the pieces below vary from 16" wide to 34" wide and they are all in varying states of finish. The logo was re-painted a few times since the picture below. I have been working on a reasonable finish to accent the 3d carvings, but not destroy the fact that it is wood and not a simple plaster casting. Painting with a washcoat of thinned acrylic or oil paints seems to be a common one for carvers, but there is a lot of skill to that I will need to keep working at. The real downside to painting with a washcoat is the time. It does not seem practical unless it is something custom where the customer is paying for all the time. For that type of work I think I will find a painter. I have experimented with pyrography as well, and that seems to be not a bad choice since it can be done in a reasonable amount of time. A few of the larger pieces I made also turned out to have nice contrast due to the different woods that I randomly selected for the glueup from my waste pile in the shed. Looking at others work online I see many simply slap a coat of clear and that is about it. I am curious what you are using for finishes?

Thanks

o LOGO-Carve_Test01_SM.jpgLOGO-BEFORE.jpgCABDOOR.jpgBear_In_Forest_004.jpgTABLE-01.jpg
    Last edited by Brad Shipton; 05-30-2019 at 8:00 PM.