Thread: Filter options for Fein dust extractor. I'm confused.

Filter options for Fein dust extractor. I'm confused.

Could someone please explain the filter options for the Fein dust extractors to me. There seems to be more options than o know what to do with. Bags or cartridges, HEPA or not, disposable or reusable. Please help.

I was thinking of primarily using with ROS and mitre saw.

I have a number of the round Fein units. You may be referring to the newer squarish, that are made by a different company but the filter "system" seems similar.

There is a initial filter that catches the bulk of the dust and a final filter that catches the rest.

Initial filter can be the one with a gasket that basically seals off the bottom of the unit. This was a 10micron unit. It catches the big stuff and when full, you dump the bottom of the unit into the trash. Cheapest way as you don't replace anything but can be messy.
    Next step up is a bag. When full you toss the bag. The HEPA bag is just inside a plastic bag that allows you to seal it up and not have to touch the bag. Just an extra level of protection against the nasty stuff you might be vacuuming like lead paint.

The final filter goes up near the motor and gets the rest of the dust. Paper filter that would get damaged by water, coated for wet use, and HEPA.

I use the HEPA final filter as I want the dust eliminated but will use the Permanent filter for big stuff that will fill bags too fast. Normally use the bag so I can just toss when full. I changed to the Wunderbag bags as they are usable wet or dry. The original Fein bags were not. I don't know about the new ones.
    Here are the ones I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    ..You may be referring to the newer squarish, that are made by a different company...
    What? Fein tools are not manufactured by Fein? Who makes this new squarish vacuum?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    What? Fein tools are not manufactured by Fein? Who makes this new squarish vacuum?
    The new square ones are made in Hungary, unlike the original Fein Vacs, which are round. There seems to be little in common from the old ones to the new ones. They lost the variable suction, the tool that plugs into the vac is limited to 6amp draw, the hose is longer, but much stiffer, etc. etc. The hoses are compatible and lots of people report using the previous hoses in the new vacs. There are lots of reported failures of the tool not turning on the vac and lots of different problems that the "real" Fein vacs didn't have.There is enough different that people assume it is being made by another company but I don't actually know if the manufacturer is owned by Fein. Sorry if that was a bit confusing.
    I can tell you as a buyer of the original versions, 4 personally and around 20 in business, I wouldn't buy one of the new ones based upon what I know. My local dealer feels the same and dropped them. I have nothing against Fein in general as Fein makes some of the best industrial use hand held grinders.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 06-01-2019 at 10:35 PM.

Greg. Thanks for that info. I was not aware of this things.