Thread: Finish Question

Finish Question

I'm wondering how Yorkshire Grit with Hampshire Sheen holds up as a finish. Specifically on utility items like pepper mills and pens etc. Anyone have experience with them?

Isn't Yorkshire Grit just a wax or type of wax? If so it won't last very long at all on something that is handled often. Wax is not a finish, it's a top coat at best to make the piece feel good.

Yorkshire grit is an abrasive wax, meant to replace higher grits in the sanding process. Not sure about using on bare wood, since it has wax in it you would have to remove it before applying a film finish (if you go that route). I've seen several videos that use it after sanding sealer was applied to fine sand the finish. Hampshire Sheen is a paste wax, so probably not a durable finish on it's own for highly handled objects like pepper mills, but would add extra protection on top of your final finish.
    Maria
    A woodchick can chuck wood

Thank you for the replies. I thank Maria for her information as that's exactly my experience. Once I used Yorkshire Grit it really sealed the wood so any oil application was ruled out. Lacquer or poly would be fine. I think in purely decorative pieces they would be great but agree Pat, pieces that are subjected to regular use would not hold up. I am curious to see how Hampshire Sheen might work as a final finish over oils? So much to learn and so little time. Thanks again.