Thread: updating a credenza

updating a credenza

I'm in a bit of a pickle with a few design ideas and could use some input.

I've got a fairly modern credenza that was built with three cheap mdf doors that are around 24t x 15w. Most probably wouldn't touch this thing but it fits the small space we're in well.. for now.

One of the door edges swole on top maybe 1/16" or so (not noticeable in the pic/hinges are off) so I've been contemplating doing new doors with each on being book matched or possibly a three piece glue up with 1x6 walnut. Maybe a little much to invest for this piece though.

Other thought is to sand down the swole edge and do a 3d wood collage with a mix of shorts I have here in white oak,red oak,cedar,walnut,etc.. have fun with the 5 yo and let her have some input. This would have the face be proud of the top edge and skirt but I'm not going to be that anal.

Last idea is to router out a wavy pattern and do a continuous run from left to right with a walnut veneer accent inlaid. This would look nice and possibly be the most bang for the buck albeit not 5 yo friendly (I tell myself this isn't an heirloom piece ha).

Here's a picture. I've since primed and painted her up all white and will install new knobs. I may pull the skirt/legs and do a natural tapered wood leg. We'll see...

Appreciate any suggestions you guys have

Pic of a 3d mosaic credenza

I agree the 3D mosaic is neat. But honestly? I wouldn't (personally) use up good material on a piece of MDF furniture. I'd sand the swollen piece flat (or make a new part) and just paint it, if it were in my home. You could still let the 5 yo finger paint the front if you wanted.

Just one man's opinion though and YMMV.
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 05-30-2019 at 6:44 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I would vote for shared experience with the five year old either way. With 20/20 hindsight I can say build all the credibility you can before the hormones hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I agree the 3D mosaic is neat. But honestly? I wouldn't (personally) use up good material on a piece of MDF furniture. I'd sand the swollen piece flat (or make a new part) and just paint it, if it were in my home. You could still let the 5 yo finger paint the front if you wanted.

Just one man's opinion though and YMMV.
    Fred
    I have $50 into this old pottery barn pos, another $50-100 isn't gonna kill me ha. It came with a glass top so I'm gonna do a picture mosaic underneath that. Was thinking I could maybe take the panels off later if theyre cool enough and hang em.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    I would vote for shared experience with the five year old either way. With 20/20 hindsight I can say build all the credibility you can before the hormones hit.
    Ha I heard that! I try to involve her in most things these days. She actually asks that I turn on home improvement shows. Time is ticking...

Well this is her painted up. With just one door ha.

Brainstorming today I think I may install some 16" drawer slides and shave the shelf to hold a record player. Another past time I'd like the little one to get familiar with.

Still undecided on the door faces. Help! Haha