Thread: 2 Aluminum jaws for offset turning

Smile 2 Aluminum jaws for offset turning

I was watching a YouTube video. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5FpAIjPffUo# and around 17 minutes I see these 2 massive aluminum jaws for holding offset turnings. I have searched everywhere and can not locate them to purchase, maybe in Germany ���� or he has made them. I found a few made out of wood from diy sites but none metal. Does anyone know where to purchase them? Thanks, Roger.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger M. Davis View Post
    I was watching a YouTube video. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5FpAIjPffUo# and around 17 minutes I see these 2 massive aluminum jaws for holding offset turnings. I have searched everywhere and can not locate them to purchase, maybe in Germany ���� or he has made them. I found a few made out of wood from diy sites but none metal. Does anyone know where to purchase them? Thanks, Roger.
    Roger,

I've never seen those but they seem like a great idea. and nice addition to the kit. They look shop-made to me - anyone with a metal lathe and a drill press or mill could make them. When I get some time (probably mid July, late August, or November ) I might make some for my Nova chucks. They could also be made easily from wood.

That's probably the best scoop design I've seen. Holding for the offset turning could be done other ways too, without those special jaws.

JKJ

Hmm, don't know which is most interesting, this method for making a scoop, the chuck jaws, or the brake on the big disc sander..... Cool!

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Hmm, don't know which is most interesting, this method for making a scoop, the chuck jaws, or the brake on the big disc sander..... Cool!
    And what about the spring-loaded tailstock support - I love that - gotta make me one. I use a spring loaded tap guide at times for small things but what he used was better.

And the little disk sander on the lathe. And the huge MT collet chuck. And the light inside the goblet - I've used that for bowls but not for smaller things. Yet.

I love it when a video stimulates ideas! This is one of those.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articl...woJawChuck.pdf

Here are plans to make your own two jaw chuck.

Don B., thanks for your post. It looks very straight forward. If I were doing it, I would probably buy some beefy aluminum angle iron and drill it to match my chuck. But wood would work just as well.

We made scoops like that in shop class in 1962. The jaws were made out of maple. AS to buying a set of jaws like that, search for pipemakers tooling, the smoking kind of pipes out of briar. The jaws can be made using 2 pieces oy angle iron of aluminum angle. My current set is made to fit an old machinist chuck and the jaws are aluminum.

I made something similar out of very hard maple and mounted them to Oneway flat jaws. The flat jaws, if you've never seen them, are really nothing more that flat pieces of steel, drilled to mount to a Oneway chuck and with holes to add hard wood or aluminum blocks to them. Here is a link to them https://oneway.ca/index.php?route=pr...h=59_69_97_162
    Grant
    Ottawa ON