Thread: Mechanical Marvels

Mechanical Marvels

These were actually finished just before Hurricane Harvey hit, but were boxed up in a hurry before my house flooded, and I'm just now re-discovering them.

All these are from the Raymond Levy book "Making Mechanical Marvels in Wood" which I got in 1992 but somehow never found the time to make any, until a couple of years ago. I must admit these are the first wooden things I've ever made where dial calipers were my primary measuring instrument! Most of the tolerances are within 5-7 thousands, so I did learn a bit about which woods were more stable than others, and which grain patterns move in what directions (since I have an un-air conditioned shop, south of very humid Houston). Keeping cylinders perfectly round was challenging.

Woods are white oak, walnut, mahogany, mesquite, osage orange, jatoba, and maple.

I tried difference finishes, but the one I liked the most was slightly thinned wipe-on poly.

These were great fun to make and people are immediately attracted to them to start turning the cranks.

a-IMG_3639.c.jpg
    Left to right - Eccentric (drives high pressure piston pumps), Fast-Return Actuator (slow powerful working stroke, quick return stroke), and Cam-and-Follower

b-IMG_3640.c.jpg
    Left to right - Scotch Yoke (compact substitute for crankshaft-and-connecting rod), Double-Slider Coupler (for offset shafts), Self-Conjugate Cam (can operate at high speed with unusual motion)

c-IMG_3636.c.jpg
    Univeral Joint

d-IMG_3638.c.jpg
    Roller Gearing (compact and requires less lubrication)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard G. Hash View Post
    All these are from the Raymond Levy book "Making Mechanical Marvels in Wood" which I got in 1992 but somehow never found the time to make any, until a couple of years ago. ...
    Incredible! Very nice job on the construction and I like your wood selections. Makes me want to touch and crank.

And now Amazon can send me another must-have book for my library. Thanks!

JKJ

Looks like a job well done. I have the book, about the same time, but never got"round 2 it" like so many other things.

Blog Entries

scratched right in on that itch...

Congratulations Richard,
    Tremendous work! Fascinating topic! Sweet sharing!
    Well done you!

In the "Hey-I-did-not-ask" department, I will offer further talking points to encourage possible friendly chat.

Hey, it builds pretty thin and slow enough already... Quit thinning that wipe-on Poly?!? : D
    Have you tried spray-can lacquer? I do not own stock but have had good results with Watco in satin. Very touchable once dry.
    A joy to apply. Fast dry and recoat. I do not mind the smell once well dry and aired out just a couple of days! : )
    Poly kinda linger-stinks for a while? : O

Thanks for sharing a peek with the Creek.
    Too cool !!!
    Walt

ps
    Which wood-moving-mechanism might you experiment with next?

bonus tip:
    Hey, perhaps try a snapshot with a white beach towel or bedsheet and drape a smooth corner gently so the backdrop juncture is de-emphasized?
    Your excellent work is worth photos which shine!
    : D
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going! WCC

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

Walt Caza: I will offer further talking points to encourage possible friendly chat.
    Well, I tried shellac, lacquer, Watco (and maybe something else, I can't remember), but slightly thinned wipe-on poly is what I ended up with. I don't recall it taking long to dry, but I was probably coming back to it a day or two later anyway.

Which wood-moving-mechanism might you experiment with next?
    It might be awhile before I tackle something like these again. They had been on my to-try list for a long, long time, but I got myself a lathe last Christmas so for now I've got something new to play with ;-)

Levy's book does have several other intriguing models, and who knows? I might try to complete the set one day!

Your excellent work is worth photos which shine!
    I can't take credit there, my artist wife gets that credit (though she would probably be embarrassed, she only spent about 3 mins setting up those pics). Better than my phone pics, for sure.