Thread: Head flashing when replacing siding?

Head flashing when replacing siding?

I am putting this into this forum due to the question pertains to my workshop. If it should be moved please feel free to put in the appropriate forum.

I am going to be replacing the vinyl siding on my shop with LP Smartside product and want to add flashing above all doors and windows.

Since I'll be removing the J-flashing from the vinyl siding I want to add head flashing above each window but am confused on which direction to bend the ends. I see both methods shown via internet searches but can't find which one is best nor a reason behind the two methods.

This seems to be the most common and it makes since from my perspective as it'll kick water flowing down the wall away from the joint between the trim and siding along the side of the window. It will create some difficulty in cutting the top piece of siding and I worry about the small gap created on the end where wind driven rain could get behind/under the flashing.
    Flashing Example #2.JPG

This is the second option which appears easier to cut siding around and makes more sense from a wind driven rain standpoint. It just doesn't look like it'd be as effective at shedding water from the side joints as mentioned above.
    Flashing Example #1.JPG

I'd like to hear everyone's comments and what they recommend before embarking on this project in a couple of weeks.

Thanks,
    Wes

I prefer the first method with a couple of tweaks from the drawing you included. First, I run the flashing a little longer so it extends past the ends of the head trim. Second, I make the end dam only a fat 1/8 high so there is no need to notch the course of siding above the window; you just start the siding 1/8 above the flashing. I make sure the flashing tape extends out from the side trim of the window on to the WRB at least 3 inches so when a little water does get behind the siding it just run down the flashing tape. The order of lapping the flashing tape is critical so the water that gets behind the siding (and it will) can't get in the tape seams.

You should put LP smart trim around your windows before putting on the siding. Use screws to attach the trim, and when you have to replace your windows, you can unscrew your trim and pull out the window without having to mess with the siding. And put the drip cap on the trim, so it will go past the window. You can get wide tape to tape around the windows too. And put caulking on the trim when installing siding so the caulk goes between trim and siding, rather than just on the surface.