Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mixing mortar, etc with regular drill

Yeah, I kind of wish I had it when I re-plumbed and re-wired the ceiling above my basement shop. Those 100+ year old floor joists are HARD.

I have used my 3/8 inch corded Dewalt drill and a spiral stir rod to mix many, many sacks of thinset for floor tile. I mix a little less than half a 5 gallon bucket at a time because the thinset gets too firm to work over time if you mix much more than that working alone. The drill body doesn't even get hot. I just don't understand having to buy a monster drill unless you are trying to mix mortar for laying brick.

We were grouting tile on a porch floor today, so I snapped a picture to put in this thread. Picture is Big Mike mixing 20lb. of tile grout in a five gallon bucket. He likes the Milwaukee 1/2" spade handle drill, because of the two I have, it's the only one with variable speed.

We did a large room with 12x24 tile a while back, and he mixed a whole pallet of thinset mortar with this same setup. Like Art said, we don't want enough mixed at the time to be worth using a mixer, like we do if laying brick, or stone.

If you're mixing inside, don't do it without buying a Whale Tale vaccuum attachment first, as in the video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeIVvEYW1ec
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 05-30-2019 at 3:01 PM.

My company builds landscapes. My guys mixed a lot of mortar, concrete, thinnest, etc with a Milwaukee 3002-1. I was amazed at how much, especially since a lot of our concrete mixes are very dry. I made the mistake of professing how amazingly durable the drill was and it died shortly thereafter. Its sitting around, and I do wonder whether it will come back to life with a new set of brushes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I was curious to see what kind of corded, 12amp drill that Dewalt sells, and this is the closest I could find:
    https://www.dewalt.com/products/powe...st-drill/dw124

A right angle drill works okay for mixing mortar, but I like the spade handled ones better that have the spade handle opposite the handle with the trigger on it.

I was mistaken. It is 10 amp.

https://www.dewalt.com/products/powe...erdrill/dwd520

What type of mortar will you be mixing? What's it for? How much do you have to mix?

Quote Originally Posted by scott lipscomb View Post
    My company builds landscapes. My guys mixed a lot of mortar, concrete, thinnest, etc with a Milwaukee 3002-1. I was amazed at how much, especially since a lot of our concrete mixes are very dry. I made the mistake of professing how amazingly durable the drill was and it died shortly thereafter. Its sitting around, and I do wonder whether it will come back to life with a new set of brushes.
    Dust in the switch would be my first check.

I use an old Firestorm 1/2" hammer drill to mix thin set, drywall mud, concrete, mortar...pretty much everything powder that you add water to.
    I hate that drill - as far as a drill or hammer drill goes - because no matter how much I "gorilla arm" the keyless chuck, it slips.

The stupid thing is a lot like the crummy Harbor Freight stuff you buy because you have a single use for it, but, it turns zombie & refuses to die - so you do everything you can to kill it off......then when it finally does die,,,you feel bad about it an lament it's passing .
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

For me, a purpose built mixer is the best tool for the job. A good bang for the buck is this:

https://www.contractorsdirect.com/ru...SABEgJcWvD_BwE

This type mixer can be had for half the rubi price from the usual online suspects- but QC might be ???

Don't scoff at battery powered tools for this task :

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...Mixers/2810-20

even if it only does half what they say - it's plenty for a days work on all but the largest commercial jobs.

Not as elegant, but if you prefer yellow :

https://www.dewalt.com/products/powe...m-kit/dcd130t1

The MOST important thing is to use the spiral type attachment with whatever you drive it with.

Quote Originally Posted by Günter VögelBerg View Post
    Thank you, gentlemen. I have ordered a Milwaukee "Hole Hawg". How many drills do I have now? No idea.
    I picked up an old beat up one of those about 20 years ago. Amazing tool. It has an unbelievable amount of torque; it is basically a hand held 1HP drill press, so treat it accordingly. Never use it in a manner where if it grabbed and spun it could injure you. It has 3/4 pipe thread holes to attach the handle. More than a few times I have put a 5' piece of pipe on to brace it against the ground for drilling through rim joists. Definitely an awesome tool; the I'm-done-messing-around tool. Wood just yields to it out of fear.

How many drills have I? That is kind of like asking how many planes or chisels or clamps I have. Pretty much a question I would be happier not knowing the answer to

I bought a slow turn big drill from HF just for this task.
    Bob C