Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixing mortar, etc with regular drill

Mixing mortar, etc with regular drill

This is not exactly woodworking, so please forgive me. I am getting ready to mix up lots of mortar. I have a 12 amp corded dewalt drill. Will it damage the drill if I use it to mix the mortar? Should I buy a dedicated mixing drill?

Definitely buy a dedicated mixing drill.

Blog Entries
    I have no idea what model drill that is, but when I bought my Dewalt tile saw, they threw in a corded Dewalt drill (DW130, I think) for mixing the mortar. It is fairly low speed, has lots of power & can mix mud all day long. That's the only thing I've used it for though.

If your drill is 12A & has a low gear speed below about 600 RPM, it should be fine for mixing mud.

We use 1/2" spade handle drills all the time to mix small batches of mortar, plaster, and thinset. They easily handle a bag of mortar, or thinset, and 10 gallons of plaster in a 16 gallon tub. One is a Rockwell that I bought new in 1974, and the other is an old, made in USA milwaukee. Both are still going strong, and we just used the Milwaukee day before yesterday. I don't remember the amperages, but 12 should be plenty strong enough

I used my corded Dewalt 1/2" drill to mix a lot of mortar when laying tile for my basement floor, which was about 800 square feet. It did fine and still runs great to this day, though I rarely use it as I now prefer my cordless tools for most tasks.

I've mixed mortar with my Dewalt 20V 1/2 drill and had no problems with that, either. I don't know if I would mix all day with it, but it works fine for small batches.

Quote Originally Posted by Günter VögelBerg View Post
    This is not exactly woodworking, so please forgive me. I am getting ready to mix up lots of mortar. I have a 12 amp corded dewalt drill. Will it damage the drill if I use it to mix the mortar? Should I buy a dedicated mixing drill?
    When I mix up "lots of mortar" it's in a 5 gal bucket at least half filled with mortar. I use a 1/2", 500-RPM Milwaukee corded drill. No way a 12 amp cordless is up to that task. To get appropriate answers to your question, you should define the size of your mortar batches.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Most mortar vendors specify a slower speed to minimize the amount of air entrained in the mix. I think the last bag of thin set I read, said 300rpm or less. Like most, I've use 5-600rpm drill to do that. But, my hole hawg is better for a couple of reasons: slower at 150 and the 90deg head minimizes the torque I have to resist. An inline drill can really wind your wrist!
    Last edited by Ken Combs; 05-29-2019 at 4:03 PM.

If your only doing a small batch(10lbs or so) I have used an 18v cordless on many occasions on low speed. Havent had any issues with the drill. If your mixing 10 bags then just rent a mixer

I was curious to see what kind of corded, 12amp drill that Dewalt sells, and this is the closest I could find:
    https://www.dewalt.com/products/powe...st-drill/dw124

A right angle drill works okay for mixing mortar, but I like the spade handled ones better that have the spade handle opposite the handle with the trigger on it.

I might use my drill press. It will go all day at a suitable speed and save my arms too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    When I mix up "lots of mortar" it's in a 5 gal bucket at least half filled with mortar. I use a 1/2", 500-RPM Milwaukee corded drill. No way a 12 amp cordless is up to that task. To get appropriate answers to your question, you should define the size of your mortar batches.
    It's a 12A corded drill he has, which will be plenty as long as it has a low gear.

I last used my Milwaukee Right Angle Drill to mix mortar and thinset. I used one of those long, spiral "stirrers" available at Home Depot. It seemed to work. I'm no expert though
    I don't think I've ever tried a battery powered drill to mix mortar
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Thank you, gentlemen. I have ordered a Milwaukee "Hole Hawg". How many drills do I have now? No idea.

Thats a good one you are sure to enjoy it. Id pick up a few self feed bits. When I first got my hawg i quickly broke all my spade bits and a few other types. The self feed bits seem to hold up well.

Blog Entries
    The Hole Hawg is a beast. I've seen them last 20 years, drilling out houses for electrical wiring every day. Chances are, you will never wear it out.