Thread: Should there just be a category for Dust Collection?

Blog Entries

Should there just be a category for Dust Collection?

I know it's not always like this but it seems that nearly all the most recent threads deal with dust collectors in some way.

Blog Entries
    I agree but got a negative reaction from the mods on it. More than once. I count ten forums that right now have 5 or less viewers. The workshops forum which includes all dust collection related threads currently has 80 viewers, 8 of the most recent 10 threads are dust collection related. So that might be 60 or so viewing dust collection related threads right now. Seems pretty clear to me. But then there is the promised move to a new platform, so likely nothing will happen until then.
    NOW you tell me...

A decision was made sometime ago to have dust collection live in the workshops area. While it would be nice to have even more granular differentiation, we remain at the limit of what we can monitor. That said, I will keep this suggestion alive "behind the curtain"...I don't personally disagree with it. It's correct to assume, however, that any change like this isn't likely to occur until after the shift to Xenforo. And if it does come to be, there is then the challenge to get folks to actually post their threads in the proper area. 99% of what I do as a moderator is...move "stuff". Really.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

Blog Entries
    Jim, it was more of a joke than a real suggestion. There are always some DC threads going but those tend to mix with other things. This week, I guess the stars aligned and nearly all the most active threads dealt with dust collection. It's a basic tenant of chaos theory that sometimes things don't look random.

Dust Collection is a popular topic in several forums here. Knowing that the majority never visit forum areas outside of their primary interest it seems counterproductive to move threads from the Turners, Laser Engraving, CNC and other forums to any of the primary forum areas here.

Roger, I get your joke bit I decided to share some information for those who may not understand why we have never offered a dust collection forum.

The Mod team does move any an all dust collection "system" threads to Workshops, however, so they are all in one place and because the systems are "generally" permanently installed as part of the workshop environment. Stuff relative to adapting specific tools for dust collection or "better" dust collection tend to stay in the relevant areas for the tools.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...