Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rasps

Another vote for Iwasaki (first I reach for), also Miicroplane rasps (I have a #13 Auriou). Tools for Working Wood used to sell an sbsolute lovely 4 in 1 file rasp, rounded one one side, flat on the other, with fine and coarser teeth. I used mine last week and after the years, it is becoming a bit dull. Looking through the TFWW website, I don't see it listed anymore.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I have a couple of Gramercy Rasps. I have been pleased with them. I tried out Auriou rasps, and they are amazing, but for the price difference, I couldn't personally justify it. I also don't do a ton of rasp work. Maybe if I did I would have paid more for Auriou.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Kamery View Post
    I have a couple of Gramercy Rasps. I have been pleased with them. I tried out Auriou rasps, and they are amazing, but for the price difference, I couldn't personally justify it. I also don't do a ton of rasp work. Maybe if I did I would have paid more for Auriou.
    I just visited the Gramercy site, and other than the smallest sizes found their rasps to be more expensive than the Auriou products.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I just visited the Gramercy site, and other than the smallest sizes found their rasps to be more expensive than the Auriou products.
    I am just doing a quick search right now. 9 inch cabinet makers rasp from Auriou on Lie Nielsen's site, $100. 9 1/4 size from Gramercy is $75. Auriou 12 inch is $130. Gramercy has one the same price and one more expensive. So I guess it matters on what size you get but I only see one example of Gramercy being more expensive.
    Then like you said, if you look at modelers and rat tail rasps, the price difference is huge. $100 vs $40 or $50.

I was comparing the 10" version initially. LN may have recently raised their prices. I ordered a 10" version last month and it was $10 less than the website price is today.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Yet another vote for Iwasaki. I tend to pick up a few when Woodcraft has their occasional sale on them. For smaller work, the Corradi riflers are quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I was comparing the 10" version initially. LN may have recently raised their prices. I ordered a 10" version last month and it was $10 less than the website price is today.
    Gotcha. I forgot that the Gramercy does have a more expensive version rasp. I guess since I wasn't looking at it that's why I overlooked that haha. And they probably did raise the prices recently, it seems (but this is just me guessing based on anecdotal evidence) that the tool companies raise their prices each year. I get it, inflation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    [edited] Tools for Working Wood used to sell an sbsolute lovely 4 in 1 file rasp, rounded one one side, flat on the other, with fine and coarser teeth. I used mine last week and after the years, it is becoming a bit dull. Looking through the TFWW website, I don't see it listed anymore.
    You can likely find one of those at your local hardware store:

4-in-1 Rasp.png

Check their web site or give them a call.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    BTW, one of my first woodworking tools was a 4-in-1 hand rasp. Good for roughing work. Now with many other rasps to choose from my 4-in-1 doesn't see much use.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

4-in-1 Rasp.png

jtk
    Not the same, Jim. The one I got was shaped like an auger file and works like a champ. I'm thinking it came from Tools for Working Wood, but not positive. I'll have to post the name of it tonight. Also, I have several of the 4 in 1's like you posted and they're very handy.

T.

4-in-1 Rasp.png

jtk
    The 4 in 1 I was referring to is made by Grobet Vallorbe. It is called a "Swiss pattern", and available on Amazon for about $35.00. The appearance is that of a file, but definitely not for metal, but made for wood/hard wax, etc., and as I previously posted, looks like an auger file, with two flat and two rounded surfaces.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    The 4 in 1 I was referring to is made by Grobet Vallorbe. It is called a "Swiss pattern", and available on Amazon for about $35.00. The appearance is that of a file, but definitely not for metal, but made for wood/hard wax, etc., and as I previously posted, looks like an auger file, with two flat and two rounded surfaces.
    How about a link? Searching on Swiss pattern or Grobet Vallorbe or both turned up nothing to meet the description.

TIA,

jtk

How about a link? Searching on Swiss pattern or Grobet Vallorbe or both turned up nothing to meet the description.

TIA,

jtk
    Link? I don't even know how to post pics! Do an Amazon search for Grobet files, and scroll down through the list.

T.

Lee Valley used to sell a 4 in 1 Rasp. Doesn't look like an Auger though.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

TIA,

jtk
    I have one, it is a good detail file:

GROBET HALF-ROUND VULCANITE FILE

31-384 HALF-ROUND VULCANITE FILE
    360-313-841WB
    1/2 Round Vulcanite File

Mfr Part: 31384

4 Cutting Faces In One File

We've had lots of calls wanting us to find this file - and once you've tried it, you'll know why. Gives you 4 different cutting faces: half-round bastard, flat bastard, half-round 2nd cut and flat 2nd cut. Because of special shape, you can get into places easily where a square-ended file just won't fit. Fantastic for shadowline cheekpieces, shaping combs or schnables, inletting bolt knobs, around the wrist, tang and grip. Great on hard rubber, soft metals, plastics and wood.

GROBET FILE CO. OF AMERICA INC - HALF-ROUND VULCANITE FILE

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod6764.aspx