Thread: moravian (Dutch) bench wagon vise

moravian (Dutch) bench wagon vise

I'm considering using the lake erie wagon vise on my moravian bench, which will follow Will Meyers' bench dimensions. My concern is the large size of this vise compared to the smaller one employed by Will and the larger empty space along which the visa travels will be too big on this smaller bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rathhaus View Post
    I'm considering using the lake erie wagon vise on my moravian bench, which will follow Will Meyers' bench dimensions. My concern is the large size of this vise compared to the smaller one employed by Will and the larger empty space along which the visa travels will be too big on this smaller bench.
    Eric,

I think your concern is justified, my portable benches only have 8/4 slab and the Lake Erie screw is much too big. I use a “tail” type vise so seldom a dog hole and the LV dog and screw thingie fills the bill. As always YMMV.

ken

Will Myers has put a lot of thought into this bench, and his wagon vise design is pretty much perfect for this top. They're not that hard to build and Will will even make you one if you'd like. The top is secure but add the lake erie end vise and then some heavy stock in it and I think you could pivot the top. The HNT Gordon tail vise looks interesting and like it would work too, but I don't have any experience with it. I think Will's design is better for what it's worth.

The lake erie face vise screw on the other hand - if you haven't bought one get one. Something that goes unsaid is that adding the wooden vise to the front makes the bench all the more stable since it wedges in between the bottom stretcher, the leg and the top. I was using a metal vise on mine for awhile as well and adding the wooden vise was another huge benefit. Basically, follow the design as it is - it's great.-- NORMAL --

Thanks Dean and Ken. I'm glad I posed the question.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Dean Arthur View Post
    Will Myers has put a lot of thought into this bench, and his wagon vise design is pretty much perfect for this top. They're not that hard to build and Will will even make you one if you'd like. The top is secure but add the lake erie end vise and then some heavy stock in it and I think you could pivot the top. The HNT Gordon tail vise looks interesting and like it would work too, but I don't have any experience with it. I think Will's design is better for what it's worth.

The lake erie face vise screw on the other hand - if you haven't bought one get one. Something that goes unsaid is that adding the wooden vise to the front makes the bench all the more stable since it wedges in between the bottom stretcher, the leg and the top. I was using a metal vise on mine for awhile as well and adding the wooden vise was another huge benefit. Basically, follow the design as it is - it's great.-- NORMAL --
    While the Lake Erie “screw” is nostalgic I think it is an expensive alternative. There are options one could consider including a metal screw which is much less costly and readily available. In terms of function the metal screw is more reliable and less vulnerable to climate. To say to one to go get a Lake Erie Kit ignores the expense and the disadvantages.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Trangaris View Post
    While the Lake Erie “screw” is nostalgic I think it is an expensive alternative. There are options one could consider including a metal screw which is much less costly and readily available. In terms of function the metal screw is more reliable and less vulnerable to climate. To say to one to go get a Lake Erie Kit ignores the expense and the disadvantages.
    Michael,

A couple of questions. Have you used a Lake Erie wood screw? If you have, what are the disadvantages?

BTW, I've used both wood and metal screw leg vises, the last three work benches I've built have had Lake Erie wood screw leg vises for the simple reason they work better.

ken

+1 Ken

I've had my Lake Erie vise for a couple years on my Moravian bench, works great! Been through Chicago extremes (dry/humid) with no issues. The large threads make it work much faster than the cheap Lee Valley metal leg vise screw I had on my old bench.

I built a wooden wagon vise for a mini bench ...

Details are here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...nAWeekend.html

Regards from Perth

Derek