Thread: Recent impressions of Target Coatings

Recent impressions of Target Coatings

Target Coatings. I went with Target from a whole bunch of positive posts about it.

I"ve sprayed almost a gallon each of em2000 and em6000 now while learning spraying. I'm getting some orange peel on the outside of a 27x16x7" baltic birch box test. Inside? forget about it. I'm blaming my lack of skill along with the Wagner Control spray max I'm using, so I ordered a fuji mini mite 3 to take care of the latter (and have another post asking if other wagner guns might clear up my issues?)

Now, I know finish allegiance is almost religious, but I wanted to ask for some more recent comments on Target Coatings.

I respect Jeff Jewitt of homesteadfinishes.com and they appear to no longer carry Target. There used to be a ton of positive posts on here about Target, is it still great stuff, or should I look elsewhere? General Finishes?

I prefer to stay water-b* (orne or ased). Is there a better and affordable solution for both clear (leaning to the 6k for clear, 2k for when I'm showing off wood) and for colored finishes on wood?

I was thinking of adding the 6500 in some colors for midcentury modern designs I need to paint in bright colors. Either that or just use enamels, I'm not that far Yet.

I'm pretty happy with the em6000 (and em2000) and figure I'm running up against limitations of my cheap HVLP thus the purchase of a much nicer setup. Do you agree that with the better gun I should expect to be able to get smooth finish results in clear or colored finishes?

Obviously, spraying INSIDE of a box is difficult and will take time to master, but with the unadjustable pattern width of the Werner Control Max, I don't think I'd get there.

Anyway!
    Target Coatings em2000, em6000 and em6500: Still well loved?

Thanks!

It doesn't matter what finish or what kind of spray system you have...spraying the inside of a box is a totally thankless task. It's is easier with a remote pot setup where you only have to fit the gun head in there, but still...I avoid that if at all possible and prefer to pre-finish interior surfaces before assembly and/or buy pre-finished sheet goods for cabinets that need to be finished inside to save time. The cost differential is minimal in quality sheet goods for that.

As to Target's products. I remain a fan and have used them since the early 2000s. I use EM6000 clear, EM6500 tinted, EM8000cv clear and have also enjoyed EM2000 in the past for its warm color. I got acceptable results with the inexpensive Wagner gun I used for years, but recently upgraded to an AccuSpray gun with the PPS cup system. Even better, especially with the thicker tinted material like EM6500. I even sprayed SW ProClassic recently with great results with that gun.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Agree with Jim, use prefinished ply for boxes whenever possible. If you need to spray cabinet insides, leave the backs out and finish them separately, assemble later.

I have the best luck with EM6000, but I also find the finish to be less flat than I would like.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cherry View Post

I have the best luck with EM6000, but I also find the finish to be less flat than I would like.
    Sheen or texture/thickness?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Sheen or texture/thickness?
    Texture. But to put that in context most of my experience with EM6000 has been over Sapele which has a fairly open pore structure. Jeff advised my to use pore filler, which I did on some pieces and it makes a difference, but still seems like it does not lay down as flat/even as solvent lacquer. Maybe with more stick time I’ll sort it out.

OK, excellent. I was hoping you'd pipe in Jim, you're one of the main reasons I settled on Target. Good to hear they're still a preference. While I understand anyone can have issues with anything, as well as the religious fervor towards everyone's fave, I would prefer not messing with harsh finishes more than I have to. (I have quite a few for when I want to dabble)

Hmm. Sounds like I have a lot more spraying to do to compare the expensive Fuji before I stick with it, but odds are I will stick with it knowing me. Much as I ridicule going too high end where the skills are the problem, I also hate incremental upgrade waste instead of just getting the right tool.

Thanks for the responses!

Have you sprayed much 6500 in colors? Is this sufficient to lay down, say, a red endtable, or would I be better off spraying a straight out enamel?

And yes, spray pre-assembly for sure, but sometimes it's not an option unfortunately. Hard to unglue finger joints!

The inside is going to mostly be lined anyway, I'm just overdoing it to learn the harder stuff.

I learn a lot from trial-and-error, I like to get allll the errors out of the way first so I really know what works.

If you are getting orange peal you need to turn up the air pressure and/or turn down the fluid flow. Adding Extender will help it flow out, too; sometimes that is the only solution. I couldn't spray Kem Aqua + worth a damned until I started adding 3% of GF's Extender to it. The minute I did that it layed down beautifully and looked great. So don't be afraid to adjust the chemistry if gun adjustments don't fix the problem; but only after you have fully exhausted those options.

I haven't sprayed much of TC's products; what little I've used (EM-9300) didn't go well. I have sprayed a lot of GF's. Not much sprays more easily than Enduro Clear Poly of the products I've tried. I've used it on Sapele, too, and it came out dead flat. Same for my friend using a Fuji rig. For pigmented products I really like Lenmar's Duralaq-WB. You can get it at Benjamin Moore and it comes in any of BM's colors. Sprays great with my Qualspray pressure assisted HVLP gun, same as Jim has.

John