Thread: Fuji mini-mite 3 upgrade to Wagner Control Max. Would new guns for Max be enough?

Question Fuji mini-mite 3 upgrade to Wagner Control Max. Would new guns for Max be enough?

I've been learning spraying with em2000 and em6000 on a Wagner Control Max HVLP sprayer. I'd like to also spray some kind of color coating, maybe em6500.

I really like spraying, first off. I've gone through almost a gallon of each 2k and 6k on shop jigs and sanded birch ply. Finally figured I'd gotten good enough, and sprayed a medium-sized (18x27x7" or such) baltic birch finger-jointed box. The outside is good, probably orange-peel, but I don't WANT it to have a smooth-lacquer, look-like-a-guitar thick finish.

The inside though... Spraying inside a box seems to be a task the base Control Max just cannot do. You can only change the air quantity and fluid flow, the fan pattern stays just as wide.

My thinking is I need a better HVLP if I want better/acceptable results. (though there ARE 2 different guns for the control max, anyone have experience?)

I took the "next step up"(lol) and ordered a Fuji Mini-Mite 3 set with accessories and 2 different needle/cap sets.

Is that COMPLETE overkill, could I get good enough results with the iSpray (I Pray?) or detail gun for the Wagner? Is the Fuji MM3 necessary? I figure it's a huge jump up in quality, but for a hobbyist, albeit one who's a perfectionist, do the Wagner heads improve it much?

I plan to eventually make midcentury modern style colored lacquer or enameled furniture, as well as wood furniture items. I'm not a fan of rustic (for myself, i do appreciate the skill, just not my desires)

I'm going to start another thread for the Target Coatings questions. Thanks!

It is extremely difficult to spray inside drawers or cabinets with an HVLP. The machine puts out so much air that it blows the finish out of the box. I spray cabinet backs and drawer bottoms separately, and attach them after the finish operation.

Definitely preferable, but it's not so easy to unbond the glue in finger joints.

I'm also trying the hard stuff to both learn and test out the limits. Learning before it's crucial not to make any mistakes.

I'm thinking the Fuji is overkill, but the next step down I'm looking at is only a few hundred less, and less capable of spraying say, enamel or 6500 in colors.