Thread: When to sharpen joint and/planer blades

When to sharpen joint and/planer blades

When do you guys typically sharpen your jointer and planer blades? I'm sure there must be a rule of thumb as to how many linear feet you pass before doing so.

I have only run pine or fir through my machines.

With that said, will bloodwood destroy the blades on these machines. It has a Janka of 2900.

No lineal feet rule, just go by noise, or of course, if one gets a nick, or several.

Sorry, no experience with Bloodwood, but have run plenty of stuff harder than that. Just feed slower.

I like to change my jointer knives before they get too run down. I have two sets m2 and t1. I can hone them with a rig I made . If they get a deep nick or the honing bevel gets too large I send them to a saw service.
    I remember blood wood to be pretty nasty to hss. Try to get your boards mostly flat on one or two good passes. To save the knifes.
    Good luck

When they are dull, which is to say when they are no longer giving good results, and that depends on the material being milled. A moulder operator could tell you pretty exactly how many lineal feet of a certain species he can run before the quality is unacceptable, but it's hard to say with variable inputs. 100 linear feet of teak can trash a HSS knife. Bloodwood, not so much but it would be a good idea to have a spare set on hand.

My rule of thumb(nail) is if I run my nail across the blade and it slides off, it's time to change the knives. If it digs in it's sharp enough.

You can mill miles of Pine, Fir Aspen and other soft woods and quite a lot of hardwood if it is all clear and straight grained. Tearout and knots are much harder on blades.