Thread: Compressor Output Question...

Compressor Output Question...

So...if I have a 2 stage compressor, with a 1/4" output fitting, can I use 3/8" ID hose and fittings? I'm looking at a 2 stage, 10.7 cfm compressor that also comes with a 1/4" out fitting and was confused, as I would think that high an output would have a 3/8" out.

Yes, you can use a 3/8" ID hose and fittings. I use 3/8" fittings with 1/2" hose, at my regulator output.
    A 1/4" NPT pipe fitting orifice would have absolutely no problems passing >11CFM. My Compressor is 17CFM and a little air blow nozzle, with a 1/4" fitting ,and a < 1/8" aperture opening, can overcome my compressor's ability to keep up.
    I've been running a nail gun on my roof this past week. There's 150' of 1/2" hose between the regulator output and the gun on the roof. I use 1/2" to keep the CFM ,up and pressure losses to minimum at the gun between strokes. There's 130' of 3/4" pipe and hose between my receiver tank and the regulator inlet.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 05-27-2019 at 5:08 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Do you mean it has a 1/4" regulator on it? The tanks usually have bushings that reduce the size from the threaded opening in the tank, on larger tanks, which I would think a 2-stage pump would be on, so the bushing could be easily changed.

One of my 2-stage compressors is a pump which is normally on 5hp compressors, but I have that one slowed down for a 3hp motor, to run on temporary services. I run a 3/8" regulator setup on that one. I expect a 1/4" would allow that much air through, but I sometimes run a couple of hundred feet of hose, so I don't want any more restrictions than necessary towards the supply end.

If yours already has a 1/4" regulator, I'd try it to see if it will do what you need before replacing it.

edited to add: all my quick connects, on everything, are H style 3/8".
    Last edited by Tom M King; 05-27-2019 at 4:31 PM.

The compressor has a built in regulator. The output of the regulator is 1/4". I'm working on a blast cabinet. An expert on the cabinet I have, advises use of 3/8 minimum to the regulator at the cabinet. I'm a real dummy when it comes to compressors and such.
    Last edited by Derek Arita; 05-27-2019 at 6:04 PM.

??? Maybe just under a shroud? I've never seen one you couldn't change. Yes, more air is better for a blast cabinet.

It depends on how much air your cabinet requires. If 11 cfm is enough then your regulator is big enough. 1/4" hose would be marginal, you should use 3/8" hose. Bigger than 3/8" os a waste of material but if you have some 1" hose available it will work fine also. However my guess is that you will need much more than 11 cfm.

The CFM for blasting is driven by the nozzle size. I use a 3/32 nozzle most, 1/8" some and a 1/4" hose will work with the smaller, 3/8 with the larger. Nozzle size is determined by the blast media.