Thread: Blum hinge help needed

Blog Entries

Blum hinge help needed

I purchased Blum 71B3750 110 Degree CLIP Top BLUMOTION Hinge, Soft-Close, Inset, Screw-on hinges for my current cabinet with the Blum 173H7100 0mm Cam Adjustable Baseplate, Screw-on. I am now ready to mount them on my door.

I have been to the Blum site and cannot determine the needed dimensions for the center of the cup hole from the door edge. The Blum calculation sheet does not seem to work for me. They will be mounted on a frameless cabinet. The doors will be inset and are 19 mm thick as are the cabinet sides. I would like the reveal as shown on the diagram below to be 4 mm.
    hingemount.jpg

What is the dimension from the edge of the door to the center of the cup hole?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I purchased Blum 71B3750 110 Degree CLIP Top BLUMOTION Hinge, Soft-Close, Inset, Screw-on hinges for my current cabinet with the Blum 173H7100 0mm Cam Adjustable Baseplate, Screw-on. I am now ready to mount them on my door.

I have been to the Blum site and cannot determine the needed dimensions for the center of the cup hole from the door edge. The Blum calculation sheet does not seem to work for me. They will be mounted on a frameless cabinet. The doors will be inset and are 19 mm thick as are the cabinet sides. I would like the reveal as shown on the diagram below to be 4 mm.
    hingemount.jpg

If the reveal is 4mm when H=0, then the 'B' dimension is 3mm (from Blum's "reveal table", on Woodworker Express site). So, edge of door to center of cup hole = (35mmDia / 2) + 3mm = 20.5mm = 0.807" = ~13/16".

Been down this road :: documentation is certainly a "low pressure zone".

-------------
    The larger the reveal, the closer the cup is to the edge of the door =>> be careful the drill doesn't blow-out the edge of the door frame. I've never had a cup blow out after installation, the relatively large diameter always holds well, but I'd worry about the drilling process. ...Sharp fixes many things.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 05-27-2019 at 10:50 AM. Reason: blow-out?

On a related note, I always do a "test door". It's usually just a step of wood the same thickness and length of my door. I use it performs trial run of my hinge placement. It can save though a lot of heartache.

You sure you want the reveal to be 4 mm? I usually aim for 2 mm. To get 2 mm reveal with these hinges, you can just move the cup 2 mm inboard. That is, the door edge to cup hole center would be 22.5 mm.

hingemount.jpg

I use a plastic template to position the cup and screw holes and the cup center is 22.5 mm from the edge.

Lee,

Most suppliers have someone knowledgeable so when you order your hinges you can ask.

I always drill the cup 3mm (1/8") in on a test piece and go from there. I rarely every drill one differently.

I've found there is usually enough adjustment in the hinge that usually works.

The big thing is getting the correct mounting plate, which you appear to have.

I agree with Blum charts are a bit hard to interpret. I'm betting there's a YouTube on that.

I agree with Jamie on the reveal 2mm is best.

You really need to study Blum's info. to find out what is allowed for a given application with the hinge/plate you want to use. With what the OP has, if you want to use a 2 mm reveal the optimum boring distance is 5 mm. And you can't use a 2 mm reveal with the hinge in question if the door is more than 22 mm thick, regardless of the boring distance. If you had a 1" thick door panel (or hinge stile) the reveal would have to be at least 4.3 mm at a boring distance of 3 mm and still at least 3.0 mm with a 7 mm boring distance.

John

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys. I couldn't call the supplier due to the holiday weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    You really need to study Blum's info. to find out what is allowed for a given application with the hinge/plate you want to use. With what the OP has, if you want to use a 2 mm reveal the optimum boring distance is 5 mm. And you can't use a 2 mm reveal with the hinge in question if the door is more than 22 mm thick, regardless of the boring distance. If you had a 1" thick door panel (or hinge stile) the reveal would have to be at least 4.3 mm at a boring distance of 3 mm and still at least 3.0 mm with a 7 mm boring distance.

John
    Yes. The OP says the door is 19 mm thick.

Blog Entries
    For any one that is interested, I completed the cabinet today and just need to mount the handles on the doors. Just for grins I weighed one of the completed doors. It is 14-1/8" wide, 36-3/8" tall and 3/4" thick with two 2-3/8" x 13 x 3/4" battens on the inside. It weighs 13 pounds.

By the way Robert, when I called Woodworker Express the lady that answered said she could help me and proceeded to read the wrong chart the first time through the calculations.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 06-03-2019 at 2:17 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee- got any pics? Inquiring eyes want to see!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    Lee- got any pics? Inquiring eyes want to see!
    Here you go:
    20190608_200813.jpg
    20190608_200828.jpg
    20190608_200841.jpg

The only problem is the right hand door twisted about 1/4" during the build or finishing process. If you look closley at the firts photo, you can see the right hand door is in just a bit at the bottom right next to the left hand door.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 06-08-2019 at 8:35 PM.

Here you go:
    20190608_200813.jpg
    20190608_200828.jpg
    20190608_200841.jpg

The only problem is the right hand door twisted about 1/4" during the build or finishing process. If you look closley at the firts photo, you can see the right hand door is in just a bit at the bottom right next to the left hand door.
    Thanks Lee- looks great! I looked at the pics and can’t see the problem you mentioned even though I knew what to look for.

I think most of us woodworkers are “hypersensitive paranoid perfectionists” who, mistakenly, believe our mistakes will stand out like a flashing beacon to everyone who sees our work. Actually, we should just shut up and nobody will likely ever notice our little goofs.

Just wish I could practice what I preach- I’m workin’ on it..slowly..

Lee, by the way, what did the final dimensions turn out to be regarding hinge placement?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    Lee, by the way, what did the final dimensions turn out to be regarding hinge placement?
    I aimed for the door edge to cup hole center would be 22.5 mm. I ended up a little long of that at about 23 mm (remind me to buy a metric scale instead of measuring in imperial units) I was able to adjust the reveal to 2 mm. I had left the doors a little wide on purpose, so I could trim each door to set the gap between doors to exactly what I wanted once I got the reveal set. I also ended up with the doors a bit proud of the face of the side panels, but again was able to adjust them flush. LOML likes the hinges, but 130 degree might have been a better choice instead of 110 degree opening angle.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!