Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: handheld router with big bit

Get a bit to make the outer 1/2". Make a jig to let you hand saw crosscuts the depth of the cut. Follow up with hand planes, a big rasp and sanders.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    I hope you post back with a progress report or finished photos of your project. It sounds like an interesting look.
    I'm wondering how it will turn out, and specifically what scale and type of base you might build for a table with an edge profile as you have designed.

Best of luck with the project.

Edwin
    Edwin,

Here is where I got so far. I think it looks good. I did the endgrain sides with a steeper plane.

IMG_20190629_193026_137.jpg

I'd have used my Makita cordless track saw or my Festool TS55EQ. This type of cut is easy-peasy & much safer than either router or table saw.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Here's a setup I just used to cut 5" wide 24° chamfers for a conference table. It could also be used for complete tops on a smaller scale.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If I could not use a table saw or router table I would probably use an adjustable rabbiting bit or a straight bit and straight edge in my router to remove the bulk of the waste and then finish up with a hand plane.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    I hope you post back with a progress report or finished photos of your project. It sounds like an interesting look.
    I'm wondering how it will turn out, and specifically what scale and type of base you might build for a table with an edge profile as you have designed.

Best of luck with the project.

Edwin
    Edwin,

It's taken too long to get to this point, but here is the pre-glue, pre-tweak, pre-finish look. I like it.

0824191836.jpg

0824191838a.jpg

Looks great. I like it, also.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.