Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Google getting a little heavy handed?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Because just like everyone else on the internet they build a data base of users to sell to anyone who wants to pinpoint targets for their advertising and other uses.

jtk
    Good luck getting away from that though!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Good luck getting away from that though!
    That is DDGo's mission however. They don't even record your data, so there is nothing to be sold to anyone.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Because just like everyone else on the internet they build a data base of users to sell to anyone who wants to pinpoint targets for their advertising and other uses.

jtk
    I'd rather be seeing ads that might be interesting or informative to me. Advertising is what drives 'free' content & I don't see that as a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I'd rather be seeing ads that might be interesting or informative to me. Advertising is what drives 'free' content & I don't see that as a bad thing.
    That is the point. Everyone deserves a choice.

Kev is correct. Google is a more capable search engine. It's impossible to argue against that. But you might only need that kind of precision if you are a business. As a common user, I find DuckDuckGo serves me just fine. And I have chosen to embrace the privacy that comes with that.

And given that SMC uses Google as their search engine, I will guarantee you that statement now exists on Google's servers. FOR. EVER.

My problem with the tracking and free advertising: If I'm looking to buy a gift for the wife (for example), every single thing I clicked on in my search becomes an advertisement that shows up on every phone and computer in the house. And everyone else's phone that comes in the house and hits my wifi. If I'm surprise gift shopping, the TOR browser and DDgo is the only way the to keep it a surprise. And even then, all you can do is LOOK, you can't BUY, because your apparent IP address won't match your actual address...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

So don't track the IP address, but track the device? (from Googles perspective).

How about don't track anything.

It's incredibly stupid how often I buy something and then have to put up with weeks of offers to buy it again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    My problem with the tracking and free advertising: If I'm looking to buy a gift for the wife (for example), every single thing I clicked on in my search becomes an advertisement that shows up on every phone and computer in the house. And everyone else's phone that comes in the house and hits my wifi. If I'm surprise gift shopping, the TOR browser and DDgo is the only way the to keep it a surprise. And even then, all you can do is LOOK, you can't BUY, because your apparent IP address won't match your actual address...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    [edited]

It's incredibly stupid how often I buy something and then have to put up with weeks of offers to buy it again.
    Well Frank, many of the ads are kind of interesting. As Kev says, what gets bought online shows up as advertising. As Dave says, they keep trying to sell people what they already bought.

My wife does most of the online buying. Swimsuits, underwear and other such stuff. It is kind of embarrassing reading the funnies in the morning after she has been on a shopping spree.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

So, perhaps, most would agree, 20ish years in, the internet is stupid.

What frightens me, is down the road, when it's not stupid.

Now is the time to put the reins on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    So, perhaps, most would agree, 20ish years in, the internet is stupid.

What frightens me, is down the road, when it's not stupid.

Now is the time to put the reins on.
    I think the internet is neither smart nor stupid. The uses to which people put it on the other hand ........

For search engine, have a look at Startpage. I tried DuckDuckGo and prefer Startpage. I also use the Noscript add-on, available only for Firefox AFAIK. Nearly every web site has google scripts running on it. Hmmm I wonder how Google knows what web sites I've visited and what I looked at? Noscript is a pain to set up initially but once it know what to permit to run and what not to permit, it's pretty transparent.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    For searching that I want to keep private, I use Incognito Mode in Chrome. Search history is not kept.

For searching that I want to keep private, I use Incognito Mode in Chrome. Search history is not kept.
    From Google support, what really happens with Chrome Incognito. Bottom line, only local history, cookies, etc are dumped.

What happens when you browse privately

• Chrome won't save your browsing history, cookies and site data, or information entered in forms.
    • Files you download and bookmarks you create will be kept.
    • Your activity isn’t hidden from websites you visit, your employer or school, or your internet service provider.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    From Google support, what really happens with Chrome Incognito. Bottom line, only local history, cookies, etc are dumped.

What happens when you browse privately

• Chrome won't save your browsing history, cookies and site data, or information entered in forms.
    • Files you download and bookmarks you create will be kept.
    • Your activity isn’t hidden from websites you visit, your employer or school, or your internet service provider.
    And I don't care about that. What I care about is if I'm shopping for a gift I don't want family members to see what I've been searching. Incognito takes care of that nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Why?

———-
    Google tracks you, and stores whatever data about you they can find, they have been smoozing with government spy agencies so I consider them evil, so I use www.duckduckgo.com , or www.startpage.com , while Apple is no angel, I'll take them over any google product.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    Google tracks you, and stores whatever data about you they can find, they have been smoozing with government spy agencies so I consider them evil, so I use www.duckduckgo.com , or www.startpage.com , while Apple is no angel, I'll take them over any google product.
    ust turn off GPS on the phone and no tracking easy.
    j
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    ust turn off GPS on the phone and no tracking easy.
    j
    You do that at your own peril. If you lose your device, there is no way to turn it on remotely so you can find it. Despite what you see people on television doing to track people.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute