Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Recomendations for Random Orbital Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    nobody makes a square ROS, and its sanding properties are so much better than an orbital sander.
    That may be true, but If you looked at the finish I get on my cabinets using the RTS 400 you would not discern any visible swirls or marks.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hockenberg View Post
    Hey Mark,

Jim addressed this very well. For me, it's his first and second points:
    1) Vibration free, and
    2) Dust extraction

My old PC did the job, but made me numb too. Maybe the newer sub-$100 RO sanders are much better. And having real dust extraction is amazing. I used to get engulfed in dust in my shop even with air filtration, fans, etc. With the Festool, I don't need to wear a mask.

The other plus for me is that I get better surface prep using the Festool and their abrasives than I got with the old sander. I really don't know if it's a function of the different abrasives, or the RO pattern, or maybe having less dust constantly grinding around, but it seems to work.

The sander was one of the last Festool products I bought. I found it easier to understand the functional benefits of the track saw/plunge router, whatever. I said, it's just a sander, how is it worth four times the cost of a "normal", good, RO sander like your Dewalt. My local dealer talked me into trying it and that did it for me.

With the Festool return policy, it's easy to demo it for 30 days risk free.
    I hook my Dewalt up to my Shop Vac vacuum using its 1-1/2” hose. The vac has a HEPA filter and HEPA bag and the dust collection is pretty good- rarely any visible dust but I’m going to check it all out when I can with my Dylos meter.

Vibration is a problem mainly because the sander doesn’t always want to go where I want it to. I think I would need to do a lot more woodworking to justify the cost of the Festool.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    FWW recently published a review of this sander with the Abranet and pronounced its dust collection only "Fair". Because I have this sander and use it with the Festool sandpaper and pronounce its dust collection "Very Good Indeed", I can conclude either that it doesn't work well with Abranet, or that FWW is completely full of s[]it. I present, you decide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wojciech Tryc View Post
    Dust collection is more effective with Abranet, basically, almost no dust left....
    My experience with Abranet is limited, but I was not happy with it when compared to the Festool product. The salesman tried to discourage me from stocking up on Abranet, but what does he know? I compromised and bought one pack of 400 grit instead of stocking up on all of the grits available.

From my one use, I noticed the dust cleared well around the vacuum holes in my ETS EC 150/3, but appeared to accumulate in the little nooks and crannies between the holes. I also noticed a little dust remaining on the sanded surface. When I removed the Abranet and took it outside to shake it, lots of fine dust became airborne. When I repeated this with the Festool 400 grit paper, I didn't see any residue on the paper and there certainly wasn't any on the piece I was sanding.

It's possible that I didn't have the suction turned up enough on my vacuum, but I kept the same settings for both runs.

Isn’t Mirka making Granat net for Festool? I actually never used Granat Net but the abranet Technology is excellent, especially in respect to dust extraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Because, as far as I know, nobody makes a square ROS, and its sanding properties are so much better than an orbital sander. Inside corners can be pre-sanded or easily done by hand with a sanding block.

For those unable or unwilling to jump into the Festool price range, I can highly recommend the Bosch ROS65VC. Powerful, good on board dust collection (as long as the filter is kept clean), and oh so smooth. There really is virtually no vibration.

I will second the suggestion on this Bosch, I talked dad into trying one when his old Porter Cable gave up the ghost. Neither of us are going to take the jump to the Festool price range in the near future, this Bosch definitely does not disappoint. Lots of power for low grit work on large surfaces, virtually no swirl marks with high grit paper compared to the PC. It is a lot larger than expected but it is so smooth that it is easy to control with one hand.

6. I'm another guy that uses Festool and would never go back to something else. I had the aforementioned Bosch and the difference is profound. I can sand as long as I want with the Festool but with the Bosch and the buzzing and vibration I would only last a short time using it. There really is THAT big a difference. As others have mentioned you can use the Festool easily with one hand.

Blog Entries
    I don't have that much need, but when I need a new sander, I go to the BORG and come home with one with sandpaper for it.
    I have three sanders. None are new.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hendershott View Post
    I'm another guy that uses Festool and would never go back to something else. I had the aforementioned Bosch and the difference is profound. I can sand as long as I want with the Festool but with the Bosch and the buzzing and vibration I would only last a short time using it. There really is THAT big a difference. As others have mentioned you can use the Festool easily with one hand.
    Which Bosch was it that you had? If it was the ROS65VC, then it should have gone in for warranty because that particular sander is extremely smooth.

In order to eliminate having to deal with the dust in the shop I normally move outside to a covered deck area. A couple months ago I had a substantial amount of sanding to do, but it was raining sideways and 35*. I chose to bite the bullet and got set-up inside. I took my Dewalt RO and fired it up and it just spewed a huge amount of dust on start-up. I said the hell with it and went to the Tool Barn. I bought the $200 version of the Festool. I couldn't go the $510 for the better sanders, but I intend to get one in the future. In conjunction with my Festool Dust Extractor sanding is not nearly the odious task it had been. I will on occasion still go to the Dewalt or Bosch RO's, but it is always outside. That one sander has let me enjoy woodworking even more. Money well spent!

Iended up buying the Surfprep SPES5 3/16 orbit ROS. Out of the box it looksand feels great. When I have had the opportunity to put it to good use, Iwill report the results.

Quote Originally Posted by William Lyman View Post
    When I have had the opportunity to put it to good use, Iwill report the results.
    That will help. Look forward to hearing more!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Need Recomendations for Random Orbital Sander

I ended up buying the Surprep SPES5 3/16 orbit ROS. Out of the box it looks andfeels great. When I have had the opportunity to put it to good use, I will report the results.
    Last edited by Bill Lyman; 06-24-2019 at 4:28 PM.

I have had the Festool ETS EC 150/5 EQ (thats a lot of letters!)

Have owned it for about 6 months now, and very much like it.

I see no benefit to a smaller pad, so went with the 6".

I see no benefit to the 3mm orbit pattern. It is variable speed, and I go down in grit to get smoother.

I do use the Festool mesh type discs (it has a extra pad that goes on first to use these mesh discs).

I use it one handed.

I have it hooked up to my central dust collector when in use, which works quite well with both regular paper and mesh discs.

I am not a Festool 'nut'. But would buy again.

My experience only, yours (and others) experiences may differ...

Sanding is not my primary method of smoothing, but I have used the forerunner of the Festool 150/3 for 20 years. Still have it. It works pretty well ... but it is a large and heavy bugger ...

My needs run to sanding on angles, and I wanted a light, one-handed sander with superb dust control. Not much to ask

Some months ago I purchased a slightly used Mirka Ceros, which gets used with Abranet into a Festool CT26E.

This is a fantastic sander! It has been replaced by the Deros, which is probably slightly better.

The Mirka sanders deserve serious consideration.

Regards from Perth

Derek

15. They are selling for awesome prices on Amazon now, I am not sure which one to get.